Half way through a Big4 training contract


Hi all,

I have an offer from KPMG HK and will start in Sep 2010. I was just wondering if its possible for me to come back to the UK after 1 or 2 years and continue with my qualification in one of the Big4…?

The Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants (HKICPA) actually has an agreement with ICAEW that members of HKICPA can gain membership to ICAEW without further examination, so I guess I can finish all the required papers in HK and gain the required work experience in the UK if what I have mentioned above is feasible.

Anyone in the sector could confirm this for me?



The quickest and safest way to check this out is to try the ICAEW website but more likely give them a quick ring and speak to the membership office. +44 (0)1908 248 250


My recommendation would be to finish your HKICPA completely then get a secondment to KPMG UK - then just don’t go back!


Thanks for all the constructive feedbacks!

Actually my main concern is whether I can break into the UK big4 after being trained 1 or 2 years in HK big4. Secondments are not normally available until you are qualified, so I doubt this is an option for me.

So, the real question here is whether the UK big4 accept application from a person whos between entry level and qualified ACA.



You would find it easier to finish your training in HK then apply to big four here as a qualifed.


They sometimes have vacancies for part qualified people but you won’t be part qualified ACA and you won’t have done exams in UK taxation etc.

Either start straight away at UK Big4 or come after qualifying - middle will be complicated I expect