Grant Thornton manager interview

Grant Thornton

Hey, i’ve got a manger (not a partner) interview in reorganisation & recovery in london coming up. Does anyone what type of things they’re gonna ask? Also in terms of commercial awareness, what kind of stuff do you have to know? Thanks

It’s not gonna be competency based. They are going to ask you about your experience so far, in accounting, and in management of people in your previous role. They will ask what it is you know about reorganisation and recovery and why you have chosen to apply for it. If you are going for a manager role in this field, you will likely be expected to already have some experience in this field.

Commercial awareness is described here:
Commercial awareness - WikiJob

A question I could see them asking is, name a firm a you think is doing poorly and what you advise to help them recover. Potentially you could talk about one of your previous clients if you wanted to, if the information is not confidential.

Thanks. I’m applying for a graduate position, in my last year at uni atm so i don’t have any accounting experience, but i can think of things to say to answer questions like that (i hope)

Oh right I misunderstood, I thought you were applying to be a manager! Forget everything I just said, the interview will be entirely competency based!

Have a look at: Competency based interview - WikiJob

Make sure you have a good understanding of what recovery is and what you will be doing on a day to day basis in your first year or two.

That should see you through it!

Ask away if you have any more questions!

I’ve already had the competency interview (2 of them in fact), this one is testing commercial awareness and commitment to the role etc i think.

Hello Caramelcod,

You’ve already had two competency interviews? Ok… well it is in this case unlikely you’ll be getting another one! I would assume this interview would concentrate on commercial awareness (as you suggested) and your understanding of the company and exactly what the job itself entails.

Third stage interviews are often more like a formal conversation/discussion than previous interviews. If you have got this far you can assume that you have impressed interviewers with competency answers and your academics.

Grant Thornton will probably now be trying to find out more about you as a person - would you fit into their company and do you have the character for the job. You need to be forthcoming and confident in the interview and I suggest that you be prepared to talk at length about your passions and interests outside of work as well as your commerical knowledge. Make sure you read the papers and are aware of general current affairs as well as commercial/financial/political/world news in case the conversation swings this way.

We might be able to give you an even more exact answer if you tell us more about this position that you’ve applied for and exactly what your previous interviews have been like. Could you elaborate?

Ed

Ok thanks for the help! Well the 1st one was just a 30 min phone interview, compentency based. The 2nd was a HR competency interview and a group exercise (and lunch, office tour etc).
This one is going to be with a manager, and they said it will be slightly more technically focused. As you say i’m pretty sure there will be questions about recent business news etc.

Make sure you understand the following:
[LIST]
[]What you will be doing in your first year at Grant Thornton
[
]Sarbanes-Oxley act + it’s affect on audit (here http://www.wikijob.co.uk/forums/accounting-accountancy-professional-services/170-sarbanes-oxley.html)
[*]The implications of the credit crunch on the audit industry (here http://www.wikijob.co.uk/forums/accounting-accountancy-professional-services/176-partner-interview-audit.html#post627)
[/LIST]

Do a search on google news for ‘Grant Thornton’ and see what it comes up with.

Hope this helps!

[QUOTE=chrism2671;633]Make sure you understand the following:
[LIST]
[]What you will be doing in your first year at Grant Thornton
[
]Sarbanes-Oxley act + it’s affect on audit (here http://www.wikijob.co.uk/forums/accounting-accountancy-professional-services/170-sarbanes-oxley.html)
[*]The implications of the credit crunch on the audit industry (here http://www.wikijob.co.uk/forums/accounting-accountancy-professional-services/176-partner-interview-audit.html#post627)
[/LIST]

Do a search on google news for ‘Grant Thornton’ and see what it comes up with.

Hope this helps![/QUOTE]

Is this for recovery and reorganisation services as well?

Yeah definately. Those things are particularly important for the accoutancy in general and they’d expect you to know something about them, Sarbanes-Oxley because it is supposed to prevent Enron type disasters and Credit Crunch because it’s super related to recovery, which is often debt financed, and may even be the reason that a firm is in ‘recovery’.