Just been offered a job at Grant Thornton, so thought I would share my experiences!!
Telephone interview was meant to last 45mins… mine lasted 20mins so was pretty sure I had failed. Turns out everyone else had similar experiences. Cant remember all the questions, but nothing too challenging:
- Why Accounting?
- How are you finding the course?
- Why audit?
- Asked a few questions about part time job and work experiences
- A time when I turned a negative into a positive
- A time when I used initiative to improve a way of doing things
- A time when I demonstrated a flare for business
- Any questions I had to ask!
Pretty quick and nothing toooo hard to answer!
They rang me the next day to invite me to the assessment day and interview.
Assesment day and interview lasted 3hrs 15mins. Firstly I had a case study on a business that was looking to increase sales, you have 40mins to read it and prepare 3 answers to questions to present to the partner:
- 3 big opportunities for the business
- how grant thornton could develop a relationship with them
- other areas grant thornton could help the business with
After that, I went to do my interview with 2 managers, but it is a rotation so u may be doing the office tour or case study first! The interview was not too bad, very relaxed and quite like a conversation rather than an interview. They asked:
- My understanding of grant thornton / audit / professional exams
- Why accounting
- What i did in my part time job
- Time when I had worked in a team
- Time when I had gone the extra mile for a customer
- Time when I made a real difference to a situation
- Time when I suggested a new way of doing things
- How I balance time
- Time when the deadline changed and how i reacted
- Time when I have set a challenging goal
- Anything else I would like to tell them that would enhance my application
And that was that!! Then I had to do the case study with the partner, which was honestly even more informal than the interview. It was very much like a chat and he wanted to get to know me as well as do the case study. We went through the 3 questions I had prepared for, but he veered off them at times. The questions r common sense, just be yourself and answer them honestly - the partner explained there is no right or wrong answer, it is just to hear ur perception of doing things. I really wouldnt get too caught up on the case study, it is very relaxed and not at all stressful. Just make sure u speak loads and come across friendly!
They rang me 2hrs later and offered me the job, so hopefully my advice is helpful!!