Grant Thornton Final Round Assessment

Grant Thornton

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody could shed some light on what is involved in the Grant Thornton Assessment stage? I have just received an email saying that I am through to the 2nd stage interview and if I pass that then I’ll be asked to come back in the afternoon for a Partner Assessment which involves an individual case study which I have to present to the Audit Partner.

Has anybody had to do one of thes case studies before? Also, has anyone attended a 2nd stage interview before? What kind of questions did they ask you?

Thanks

Sarah

I would also like to know this. Just recieved a phone call in the past hour (had 1st round interview this morning) saying I am through to this stage, so I would like to know what to expect :slight_smile:

Hey Kady, congadulations in getting the Job at GT. I am going for an assessment centre soon and I wondering whether I need to prepare for Verbal and Numerical tests. Are these tests part of the assessment centre?

hey kady123, how long did you have to wait to get an offer from them?

are you starting in January or September in audit?

I just had my assessment day yesterday so I dont know how long I should expect, they said 5 working days. I applied for the London Office, how about you?

Thanks

Can someone provide some more details of the assessment centre:

What is the case study like?
What are the commercial issues which are worth discussing.

for the 2nd interview did you have to use new examples for the competencies?

Can you explain more about the presentation that you did?

How much commerical awareness was required?

Do GT definitely tell you either way? I had my second interview with them on monday but still haven’t heard anything…

does anyone know what is the starting pay for regional offices? birmingham for ex?

Hi, I have had so much information from this site I thought i’d give something back. I had an assessment day with Grant Thornton last week and will clarify a few things for you. Firstly, I was nervous as you all will be but try to relax, what really came across is their friendly and supportive culture and everyone I met was very easy to converse with. It’s quite short compared to other assessment days so it’s important to make an impact in both the partner and manager interview.

The partner interview is a 10 minute presentation of a case study on the day. You have 40 minutes to prepare this and there are 2 sections, you must present the main trends in the data, then recommend how the client can improve their business and why. The data is fairly simple but there is quite a bit to analyse in 40 mins and prepare what you are going to say. I didn’t even get to 8 minutes in the presentation but this doesn’t matter as it is content that counts.

The manager interview should be a breeze as you will have already passed the telephone interview and it is almost the same. In fact the manager tried to rush through the competency questions so they could have more of a chat about what to expect and what you want to do and are aware of in terms of future career possibilities. Try to know a little bit about the qualifications you might study and ask questions about their views as it will help you decide if you get the job offer. Also be aware of some recent news, preferably something that is of interest to the department you are applying.

Expect to hear from them in 5 working days, however they can call you quickly. I was offered the job within an hour of leaving the building and called up personally by the partner to congratulate me on a very good presentation. I am not writing this to boast, just to validate my advice in this post as being useful. I hope this helps and wish everybody luck in their career.

Hi London steel,

Congratulations on getting the job.

Did you use the same examples for the competency questions in the manager’s interview as the ones that you used in the telephone interview?

Thanks.

Thanks Batman29, I used different examples in the manager interview compared to the telephone. However this is because they were slightly different questions and necessitated different examples. If you were asked the same question you would be fine to use an example you have already used. In fact the interviewer saw the competency questions as a bit of a pain and tried to rush through them so they could have a good conversation with you to see if you would fit in there. Also it is very much a two way process so please make sure you have some questions prepared. I can’t stress enough that these questions should be important to you not just because they sound right, make sure you are getting enough information about the company and the role you’ll be filling.

Best of luck.

Thanks a lot for your quick reply London Steel.

I am more concerned about the commercial awareness bit and the case study.

What do you think is affecting Grant Thornton recently? Do you think I’ll be fine talking about the IFRS, Sarbanes Oxley and the recession? Is there anythg else I can say?

Concerning the case study, how did you structure your presentation and about how many recommendations do I have to give in the second part of the presentation?

Thanks a ton for your help.

Thanks a lot for your quick reply London Steel.

I am more concerned about the commercial awareness bit and the case study.

What do you think is affecting Grant Thornton recently? Do you think I’ll be fine talking about the IFRS, Sarbanes Oxley and the recession? Is there anythg else I can say?

Concerning the case study, how did you structure your presentation and about how many recommendations do I have to give in the second part of the presentation?

Thanks a ton for your help.

He everybody

I applied to GT audit graduate scheme for London office, but i am still waiting for interview to come. They put me on hold in the end of november and still saying they have many candidates ahead of me.

Is there anybody who also applied to london office and currently is on hold? are you considering to switch to another office?

do you people think recruitment is tougher for london office compared to other offices?

Batman29, try to avoid ‘the recession’ as an answer and consider its consequences, GT having to offer value for money to clients etc. Look at the publications for the final quarter of 2009 figures where GT were down on profit and how they had to restructure. As a consequence an issue facing them is getting back to the projected figures for 2010.
The presentation depends on what area you are applying to and I think it is only fair to every candidate that I don’t go into all the details of how. This is after all a test of what you will be doing with clients and it is important GT get candidates who can do this of their own accord without help. So all I will say is work fast and logically, 40 mins is only just enough time to work through the case study and form a structure to the presentation. Best of luck.

Plat1num0///, there are many applicants each year and London is one of the most popular, if you are relying on this job bear in mind that London isn’t necessarily harder but there are more candidates so you may be wise to switch locations.

Thanks London Steel for your advices!

i was thinking which office i should switch to? i have to do some research on some other offices as well.

but what i thought even competition is high for london office they give the most places compared to other offices. this means if other offices give less places chances are almost same, i dont know…?

do you have any idea of other offices? which one would u recommend?

thanks in advance! also, congratulations on getting job, that’s amazing and i am sure u must be looking forward to starting the job, arent u?

Thanks Plat1num0///, I am very much looking forward to starting the job and it has taken the pressure off a little in the final year of university knowing that is secure.

I see your point about the competition and in all honesty I am not too sure about other offices and what to recommend. If I were you I would get in touch with the HR advisor at the London office and ask them for advice. I know the lady I deal with at Euston is always very helpful and would give you some good advice on this. I am sure if you’ve applied to the other office they are equally helpful, that is one of the things I liked most about the company.
You’ll get a feel for this properly on the assessment day, it is like no other I have been to.

Best of luck, and anything else I can help with feel free to ask.

Thank you very much London Steel,

Your advices are helpful. I did so yesterday and I gave a call to lady that has been writing to all this time. But she did not pick up the phone and I found out when i was diverted to the voice mail that she was busy with assessments and interviews. I will try to give them call today as well.

At the meantime, I can understand your happiness that job now is in the pocket!!;)) keep hard with your studies and the best is expecting you in front of u!

all the best of luck to u as well!

hope i will get in touch with you if i progress further:) (not tooo sure)))

Thanks a lot for your help londonsteel, very much appreciated.