Grant Thornton Assessment Day?

Grant Thornton

Hey guys,

I’ve got an assessment day with Grant Thornton next week. I was just wondering if anybody here has attended the assessment day and could give me any details on what it was like? In particular the group exercise, as I haven’t a clue what the format of it is going to be!

Thanks in advance!

Hey, congratulations on getting to the assessment centre.

It is actually a very informal day. Mine only lasted about 2.5 hrs and was just one interview with a HR staff member and the group exercise.

The interview is a standard competency based interview. All the usual ‘give me an example of…’ questions. The only questions that I found that were different to any other firm were about my studies:
why did you choose your A -Level subjects?
why your chosen university?
why your chosen university subject? etc…

The group exercise was actually fun (unlike deloitte, kpmg etc). Our group were given some paper, pens, glue etc and asked to build a long and creative paper chain. You are given 20 minutes to discuss and plan the chain, and then only five minutes to make it.

I hope this helps. Good luck

Hey,

Thanks very much for your response, that’s really helpful! Out of interest, how long did your interview last? Sounds like they are just going to be repeating the questions from the 1st round interview!

Thanks again!

My interview lasted about 40 minutes. It is the first thing you do when you get there.

It is similar to the first interview but I think they want you to expand more on your examples. My first interview was a 20 minute phone interview and so I didnt go into much detail which meant the assessment centre interview was pretty straight forward.

I take it that there weren’t any sort of commercial awareness questions then?

A paper chain?! Sounds fun! :slight_smile:

Thanks for all your help!

There was one basic commercial awareness question. I was just asked ‘any tax news you have been interested in recently’.
So if you just get one issue to use as an example you will be fine.

Good luck!

Thanks! I’ve prepared stuff for a few different types of commercial awareness questions, so should be ok hopefully!

Sorry, one last question, is there an aim to the paper chain task, or is it simply a test of creativity? Seems really strange compared with other tasks at other assessment centres!

Thanks again!

You get marked on length of the chain and creativity. So basically if it is short and highly decorative, or long and plain you do not get full marks.

You only get five minutes to actually do it, so just make sure that during your prep time your group gives each individual a useful role.

Thanks for all your help! I’m really grateful!

hi im new to this site and think its great that everyone can talk and help each other.
I just wanted to ask about the GT If you also had to do a presentation on the day of the asesment centre.

Im really nervous and have mine in a couple of weeks

I’m currently creating a wiki page for interviews and assessment days at Grant Thornton, here - Grant Thornton | WikiJob , that should hopefully be quite helpful!

Can anyone tell me more about the first round interview (what was the style/were there tests?) and the application proceedure before this interview?

Any information anyone else can contribute to this wiki would be greatly appreciated, and of great benefit to many users :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Ed

[QUOTE=sk27;1112]hi im new to this site and think its great that everyone can talk and help each other.
I just wanted to ask about the GT If you also had to do a presentation on the day of the asesment centre.

Im really nervous and have mine in a couple of weeks[/QUOTE]

Having had my assessment centre a few weeks ago, and final interview recently, the first thing I would say to you is don’t panic!

The interviewers at every stage are really friendly, and I think this helped me to relax and perform well.

As far as the assessment centre goes, it is very relaxed. The interview is about 40 mins long and is quite similar to the telephone one, albeit with slightly different questions and a few business knowledge ones tagged on. As long as you prepare the competencies as before, and have a couple of recent business stories you feel comfortable discussing you should be fine.

The second part is the teamwork exercise. It really doesnt help you to know what it is, I know most of my group laughed when we found out, and it really was fun rather than a test. You can see elsewhere in this thread what it involves, but I would encourage you not to take it too seriously or plan too much as I think they were looking more for how you interact with the rest of the group rather than whether the task is hugely successful or not.

After that there is a lunch with some trainees who were also really nice, and then a talk from someone in HR about the professional qualification involved, in my case ACA. Then home time!:slight_smile:

There is definitely no presentation at any stage of the process, and no tests between the telephone interview stage and getting an offer.

To Redsuperted - I got an offer from GT and I am keen to give something back to this site which really helped me prepare. If you have any questions regarding the rest of the process just IM me or post them below and I will try and answer them for you.

…it’s very kind of your to offer :slight_smile: …could you tell me something about the application process before the first telephone interview and also something about the final interview that comes after the assessment day?

Many thanks!

Ed

First of all you have to fill in the form, it is similar to those of the big 4 with several open ended questions such as,

Why would you be suited to a role at Grant Thornton?
What attracts you to the service line you have chosen?
Describe your most significant achievement?
Describe a time when you have had responsibility?
What do you think you will be doing day to day during the first year?

These aren’t the exact wording but you can quickly find them out by opening an application at GT!

Next you are invited to complete verbal reasoning and numerical tests. These are very similar (in some cases identical) to those done by Deloitte and KPMG.

Then comes the telephone interview, followed by assessment day.

Finally you are invited to two consecutive 1 hour interviews, the first with a manager and then with a partner in your chosen service line. The manager one was relaxed and very similar to the HR one at assessment day, and it was important to have 2nd examples ready for each of the competencies.

The partner interview was again very informal and relaxed, and was initially on the competency questions too. The second half was about business awareness, questions like what issues are facing GT and accountants in general etc. At the end (as in the Manager interview) there was plenty of time to ask questions, and I would be very suprised if this wasn’t crucial to the assessment also, as both interviewers took a keen interest in the questions I came up with and took several notes at this stage.

That was the end of the application, and I got an offer soon after.

Hope this helps!

great post little boy, good luck with your career now.
keep us posted of your time at GT.

Hi LittleBoyBlue,

Just wondering how long it took for you to receive an offer? I took my partner/manager interview a few days ago. Getting a little nervous.
Cheers

Hey, i hope this does not make you feel more nervous but I found out that I was offered the job an hour after I left the office.
I would not worry too much though as I have heard from people who found out a few days after. It just depends when the managers/directors have time to talk to graduate recruitment.

[QUOTE=Gabriel;1324]Hey, i hope this does not make you feel more nervous but I found out that I was offered the job an hour after I left the office.
I would not worry too much though as I have heard from people who found out a few days after. It just depends when the managers/directors have time to talk to graduate recruitment.[/QUOTE]

Hey Gabriel, what did you think of the profile - Grant Thornton | WikiJob - were your interviews like this?

Well done on your offer!

Ed

Thankyou Redsuperted

I just had a look at the page and it is very useful. The interview questions are the same ones that I was asked.

If people have had competency interviews at the Big 4 or anywhere else I would just say that GT interviews are very similar. The phone interview, the assessment centre interview, the manager interview and the director/partner interview are all competency based so just make sure you have plenty of examples so that you do not repeat yourself too much. They did say to me that with so many competency interviews they do expect some repetition.

…there’s only so much you can say/anyone can say in the highly structured recruitment/interview process of a city accounting firm.

The most important thing to bring to your interviews, in my opinion, is your personality. Being charming, polite, friendly…just being a nice, outgoing, confident person can do wonders at interview.

The bottom line is, if your interviewer can imagine you working well in a team, being a supportive person and getting on with other people/them in a work siuation, then you’re half way to success. This is why things like handshake, outfit, presentation and smiling are SO important - General interview advice | WikiJob .

Good luck at the firm Gabriel… let us know what working there is like (and if you could mention to HR that you used us in your job search, it would be much appreicated :))