Grant Thornton Application Questions 2016

Grant Thornton

Hi guys,

I am slightly stuck on the application questions for Grant Thornton, specifically:

At Grant Thornton, we’ve created a culture of openness and transparency where all our people can make a difference. Our CLEARR values underpin our culture and how we do business. They are embedded throughout our business and set the parameters of how we expect people to behave with their colleagues, clients and the world at large.

Our CLEARR values are; Collaboration, Leadership, Excellence, Agility, Respect and Responsibility.

Pick just two of these and tell us in around 250 words why they mean the most to you?

Now everyone can give an example of when they’ve worked on a project at school or uni. We’re looking for something that stands out and gets us excited. Give us some great examples of how you’ve demonstrated those two behaviours to show us why you’d fit into our amazing culture here at Grant Thornton

Can someone explain how I should go about answering this question- in ways that it doesn’t sound too cheesy and to get a clear structure. Any sort of help appreciated thanks!

Pick your two and explain why they are important to you. Then pick an example or two of when you have displayed these values.

I am in that exact same situation. The fact that it says do not use Uni examples is quite a bummer!

You can use university examples as long as they’re unique (extra curricular), e.g. society-related

Hi guys,

I have done the GT questions twice and passed both times. Pick two of the competencies that you feel you most relate with. For me it was respect and collaboration. For collaboration I spoke about how I took part in a large play in my housing society as part of a cultural festival and that we came across many issues but we ironed them out as a team and how we communicated issues with each other and tried our best to improve each others’ performance. I went on to explain how this skill is important in a business environment as working in groups or teams can improve the performance of a task and also provide different perspectives. For respect I chose an incident in school where we had a teacher who was constantly disrespected in class but as I was one of the class monitors, I spoke to the other two monitors and asked the class to be more lenient with the teacher and we succeeded in convincing the others to behave. I also observed how you need to respect your co-workers and seniors in a work place to be able to perform your duties efficiently. Irrespective of whether you disagree with them or not, it is important to always respect peoples’ choices and opinions.

Try to write your examples along those lines. Pick two of the values and personalise your answers to something that are “uncommon”, take more personal examples from your life and don’t try to model them to suit what they want to hear. My second example worked because it was uncommon in school culture for students to be so brutish and teachers to face that kind of rudeness. (Especially where I come from!)

I hope my post helps. If anyone needs any other advice, let me know :slight_smile:

Thanks for that, I just want to ask whether or not you’ve done the reasoning test yet? If so how does it differ from previous years?

Thanks

Haven’t been put through to the tests, unfortunately. But if you look at this site and try some of the question on there it should give you an idea! They have swapped to this test provider since this year. site link: http://www.cappeu.com/Home

Hi, thank you for your reply! I got through to the video interview stage and I have to complete it soon - any tips for that?? Thanks!

Are these questions just for the school leaver or for graduate applications as well ?

Just be confident! Make sure you look at the camera not at the notes in your hand. If you are getting self conscious, remember there is the option to turn off looking at yourself! Make sure you use the STAR method when answering questions. And try to see if you can find some questions on this forum, about the questions that appear in the Digital Interview! They’re the same for everyone. The questions will test you on:
Adaptability, Initiative, Career Focus and one other competency that I can’t seem to remember! Just be very clear and dress formally, as you would for a face to face interview!

I’m not quite sure! It will probably be similar, as GT focuses on its CLEARR values, so you would get a similar question.

Thank you so much! Also, did they ask anything to do with current affairs/news affecting GT or audit sector in general? And I was told they would ask about critical thinking as well - anything specific to prepare for that?

Not as far as I remember, since I took a telephone interview!

What is the best way of writing an answer to ‘Now is the chance to tell us a bit more about your experience. How are the skills you’ve acquired relevant to this role and Grant Thornton?’ This is stated in the professional achievements section.
I am applying to a Graduate Audit vacancy. When relating the skills to Grant Thornton would you see how one of the CLEARR values match your experience?

when did you work with a team and it went well? showing collaboration and excellence, did you lead this team? where you respectful

Completed the Video Interview for Corporate Finance Advisory on Thursday night. Whats the next stage in the process if anyone knows? I have heard from others that there is a follow up telephone interview, expanding on some of my answers to the video interview, however when I completed the interview, GT just told me they would review the interview and get back to me as soon as possible - and during the phone call with HR, they told me if I passed the video interview, I would get through to the online tests. They never mentioned a follow up phone interview! So I am slightly confused, if anyone can help?

What is the best way of writing an answer to ‘Now is the chance to tell us a bit more about your experience. How are the skills you’ve acquired relevant to this role and Grant Thornton?’ This is stated in the professional achievements section. I am applying to a Graduate Audit vacancy. When relating the skills to Grant Thornton would you see how one of the CLEARR values match your experience?

Good luck with the online tests a_p. Do they let you sit a mock test before the real online test?

I did my video interview as well. I received an email informing me that my interview was successful and required me to book a time for a follow up call. I am confused so is this a telephone interview ? I haven attempted any online tests yet so am I required to do so after my video interview or possibly my telephone interview?

hey, apologies about the late reply. I received this email aswell! Have you had your follow up call yet?