Grant Thornton and KPMG offer

Grant Thornton
STEP

Dear all,

I have been full on about this site since my job hunting for the past 2 months. Kudos to it! I am based in Australia so the circumstances might vary slightly, but it could still help you guys out in some ways.

I appied for both GT and kpmg. Last friday i got the call and offer from GT. So let me start with my GT experience first.

GT has this really long-winded application form. But be patient and put some real thoughts into it to stand out from the crowd. Research is crucial.

Afer about 2 weeks, i was phoned up to do the 8 mins online testing. its really a piece of cake compared to KPMG’s 40min SHL one. Try not to use calculaotors. Sometimes you dont have to come up with the exact numbers, skim through the answers first, some times its quite obvious which one is correct without caluation.

After 3 days, i was phoned up for the 1st round manager interview. When i first got there, this 3 year experienced auditor was there to tell me more about GT and answer my questions. After that my photo was taken and i was led to the meeting room with the female manager (for a change!) She was nice, questions:

—tell me about your self
—Tell me a time when you did something really chanllegeing.
There were more than that, but i forgot most of them. We just kinda talked from one thing to another, she was not trying to trick me, like at all. We had a really nice chat, and she told me it took her 5 yrs to get to manager. We finish at 10 and i got a call from HR at 11 to tell me to go back for partner interview the next day! I thought that was a really good sign. :wink:

2nd round interview,
there were 1 partner and 1 manager.
The parnter asked me “How are things” but i didnt get that so he had to ask me agian. lol. It stars with “tell me about yourself” and i did throw in a couple of famous quote on “struggle” in it to impress them.
Then “an exmple of teamwork” and “how do you measure success” thats a new one. Lucky i came prepared and said “Its not what you get, its what you become in getting it!”
Then they ask, have you applied for other jobs? I honestly told them KPMG and i think its always good to be honest.

After that i asked many questions, dont stop asking until they told you so, i just kept talking and talking and to some extent i think they were annoyed. After that, another lady came and gave me an office tour.

5 hors later I got the call from GT and said the offer is on the way. So i guess for those of you who are still waiting after interviews, this is how it goes:
HR are probably waiting for their first preference candidate to get back to them . I dont know about UK, but the HR here sent me the copy of offer on Friday and asked me inform her of my decison by 10am the following monday! I dont think she gave me enough time to consider the offer! Are they trying to get to me before KPMG does?

My suggestions for you guys:
—BIG SMILE from the moment you step into the building, no one woudnt feel good sitting in front of a smiley face. it makes you less nervous and iscares your competitors!
—not only think about the interview questions, but also, seriously, how are you gonna appraoch your job on a daily basis. this will show thorughout the interivew.

KPMG will inform me of their final decision tomorrow, i might come back to write my experience tomorrow night, sorry, the responses to questions might be a bit slow, cos i have 2 assignments due next week!
Good luck everyone!!!

On a minor note, GT does not provide water in the interview room whereas KPMG does show caring for their employees in this sense,.

I disagree with several aspects of this post however the following in particular:

1. “Afer about 2 weeks, i was phoned up to do the 8 mins online testing. its really a piece of cake compared to KPMG’s 40min SHL one. Try not to use calculaotors. Sometimes you dont have to come up with the exact numbers, skim through the answers first, some times its quite obvious which one is correct without caluation.”

In my experience it is advisable to use calculators.

1. “5 hors later I got the call from GT and said the offer is on the way. So i guess for those of you who are still waiting after interviews, this is how it goes: HR are probably waiting for their first preference candidate to get back to them”

I dont think this correct and I dont think people should worry if it takes longer than a couple of days (unless they specicially tell you they will let you know by a certain day)

3.I dont think she gave me enough time to consider the offer! Are they trying to get to me before KPMG does

I doubt it.

Newcastle Uni14