Goldman Sachs Summer Internship

Goldman Sachs
#1

Its a week since the deadline is gone. I was just wondering if anyone heard back from GS? I applied for the Securities Division - London - 2010 programme.

#2

oh, another goldman sachs thread :slight_smile:
i guess you just need to be patient, i assume they have got big volumes of applications …and it will take some time…

any further updates on your other apps?
has hsbc meanwhile got back with an offer ? if they do, will you take it?

#3

Hazel, Things have calmed down a little bit for me. I guess everything will kick off from January for the Intern applications. Most of the IB recruitment activities are taking place with Standard, Macq, BNP, Societat and some boutiques. I have not applied to any of these; I am a little bit USA/UK-centric lol. In terms of graduate recruitment; I am only waiting to hear from Nomura and MS. Currently being considered by Bailey gifford and Man Group. Internshipwise; I applied to GS, CS, ML-BofA, BARCAP, Citi and Seo-London.

I have already notified HSBC that I have signed my contract with the other bank and will not be pursuing this default/clearing opportunity (so did another one person from my AC). I know atleast two have accepted offer from my AC (one of them chose HSBC over Barcap DCM as HSBC offered three different placements). I have a feeling one of the other offer-holder has declined his/her offer; so there may be one more AC on the 17th with a recruitment possibility of 12.5% for one individual.

#4

Goldman usually gets back to the interns in January. Atleast, they have been doing so for the last two years.

Nomura has had Final Rounds (ACs) for IBD and GM - London FT

#5

Thank you for the info IBD_Haunter. Thats a shame about Nomura; I was hoping to be screened (at least). to be honest I rushed my application and cover letter was copied and pasted lol; no wonder I have not heard back. Oh well; lets just hope I can get one of those internships before starting FT employment from September.

Hazelground, I have PMed you. How is your applications going? I also noticed you have been invited to the Citi CMO interview; best of luck.

#6

Thank you for the info IBD_Haunter. Thats a shame about Nomura; I was hoping to be screened (at least). to be honest I rushed my application and cover letter was copied and pasted lol; no wonder I have not heard back. Oh well; lets just hope I can get one of those internships before starting FT employment from September.

Hazelground, I have PMed you. How is your applications going? I also noticed you have been invited to the Citi CMO interview; best of luck.

#7

Connection problem therefore repeated posts; my sincere apologies.

#8

Hey Aj,

well, you’re right, i cannot complain about not being invited to ACs at this moment…LOL…but I believe I am being quite unfortunate either to have a clash of interviews for top choices or personal commitments which prevent me from taking part…
i wrote to the HR recruiter from Citi begging for another AC date, so let’s see how it goes…

yeah, i have seen your PM, and replied…will write in detail in some time :slight_smile:

#9

hey hazel,

were you invited to the AC directly, or did you have the first round and then got the AC invite after that? Also, can you PM me about when the AC is? atleast which week?

#10

oh yeah sure…i just did…hope it helps…but as i wrote, i did not book the AC after all…
not sure whether i will get another date…

#11

there will be more dates for sure!

#12

yes, hopefully. I wrote to the recruiter and asked. If I find out something, will let you know…

cheers

#13

@ Aj

just realised that taking a summer internship can be tricky for final year students of recent graduates - does this imply that you need to cancel all your current jobs if you plan to accept an internship offer? Also, if you get a full-time offer, it will be for the next year…so, if we must cancel our current offers, we need to search for other jobs to fill the waiting time…is it so? I’m getting confused…

#14

hmm… that’s an interesting question hazel. I am curious myself. can anyone shed any light on this?

#15

@Hazelground

If you already arrange an internship, that will be probably OK.

However, if you try to get an intern for summer and a full time for September within the same sector. Then, it will not be good and never try that. Let’s say that you have a full-time offer and you decided to accept it. Then what you should do is withdrawing internship applications.

#16

oh really?
that does not sound too good…what if my full time offer starts next september and I have free time over the summer…why cannot I do an internship with another bank?

is this actually forbidden? Can someone share their own experience?

#17

Hazel,

Few of the banks do not specify the penultimate year requirements for internships and the ones who do; they accept the notion of doing Masters.

Personally; my full time offer starts from 6th September; so I am completely eligible to take up any other employment. One of my university friends did an internship with Barcap-IBD before starting with his Grad trading role from Sept-2009 with Deutsche. I also spoke with HR and they told me before 6th of September; I am free to do what I please. I also believe most of the Summer internships for 2010 will end by 3rd September;which makes it very convenient.

#18

It is not formally forbidden but they don’t like it. If you don’t inform them about the intern, they can even renege your contract.(extreme case) .If you have such a situation, then you should definitely inform the company!

Think it like :

You will marry on September and you are thinking to go to holiday with another girl you like. So the girl whom you will marry with will not like it !

If you already have a full-time offer, then bank will think there is no benefit for the bank(intern bank), because you have already accepted a contract. They can not hire you. They will not train you for their competitor.

In addition, why someone wants to make an intern, to get a professional experience before to get a full-time position which will help during his job hunt and you can shape your interest bla blabla. People will think that you are too much greedy !

#19

@AJ

One of my friend had the same problem last year and he was on the edge of loosing his full-time offer. He saved his ass by withdrawing the intern contract.

#20

oh well, things are really tricky!
but is it mandatory to inform your bank (full-time offer one) in advance that you will take up an internship elsewhere?
C’mon, that’s too much to expect…they can fire people at the drop of a hat, and we are supposed to report back every time something happens?> that’s annoying!