Goldman Sachs - Summer Intern - Interviews!

Goldman Sachs

Hi everybody, this is my first time to apply for Goldman Sachs and I realized that there weren’t a lot of info on it recently
(is there a particular reason for this?:’(…Do people not like GS?)
I wanted to ask how long it normally takes for Goldman Sachs to inform me about my interview results
(I took my second interview last thursday) and whether they actually send you an e-mail
if I didn’t make it to the next round (a sorry e-mail or something)
Also I read a thread saying that additional language is a plus if you’re in IBD or sales/trading.
Is this true? (I’m Asian by the way and I’m applying for Seoul and HongKong)
Thanks!

Has anyone heard back for Research?

Hi,

To make your application stand out, here’s what I did to secure my internship with Goldman Sachs:
Pre-Application Stage:

• Write emails to heads of departments at any major (FTSE100/DOWJONES/etc) corporation and ask to work for them for a week for free in their consulting/research/finance/corporate finance divisions (anything that demonstrates commercial awareness)
  • Think out of the box, network around bars/pubs/work environments
  • Make an effort to meet as many people at uni as you can, you NEED contacts (although there are those that are extremely good, this makes your application likely to get to interview) and anyone at uni that you meet might have a relative or friend they can put you in touch with.
  • Work as hard as you can in your first year of university and continue to do so in your second (the year you apply), you need to demonstrate you are on course for a first or a high 2:1 (unless your contact is a partner or higher!), oh and that said, don’t bother applying if your university isn’t good at the course you have chosen (Ivy League/Russell Group is ideal, but you must also demonstrate your course, WITHIN that university, is actually good), because the application will be a waste of your time. With all due respect to Thames Valley University, its unrealistic to expect getting past the ‘submit’ button. If your university isn’t great, but you have tons of experience, however, that can be a mitigating factor.

Application

• Make sure you do research BEFORE interview, demonstrate an awareness of the bank/Goldman Sachs and demonstrate this in the cover letter. Good grades and good experience is one thing, but not doing your prep could cost you… To know how to write a good cover letter, go to your university careers centre and/or research on the internet.
  • Competency questions - again, do your research - writing 250 words for each question for X applications is time consuming… don’t waste your time - do less applications but be as focused as possible - sending off 30 applications is fine, but they generally have unique questions for each application (tweaking is fine though).
  • Tests - Basically, practise makes perfect. For non-numerical students especially, you won’t have done maths for a while, this WILL hinder your chances if you do not practise and practise. Goldman Sachs however do NOT make you sit tests, at the moment.

Post-Application

• Get in touch with your contact, who might be able to put your application to the top of the pile or put you through straight to interview. You may think this is unfair, but those that have developed contacts demonstrate an important skill - networking. Follow the above to make sure you get a contact.

First Round Interview
(Here this is Goldman specific, so this varies bank-to-bank)

• First round interviews last 30 minutes max, and contrary to popular opinion, you only have one interviewer.
  • Questions to expect - You will get a question designed to test how you think, not what you know. For instance, I got the question, ‘how many toothbrushes in London?’ and this is all designed to understand… ok, who knows, but I’ll make a stab at thinking how I would find this out. Think about the population in New York, think about the stock in shops at any one moment in time (when you think about this part of the answer, the answer is actually much lower than you would initially think, think about how many people (as a % of the population of NY) buy 2 toothbrushes a year etc), and how many many use toothbrushes for other reasons etc. Also, particularly with GIR, understand signficant problems investers might face in the future. Is China’s rise in power benign, for instance? Another question I got was ‘if you were the German Chancellor, how would the rise of China threaten your economy?’.
  • Make sure you connect with the interviewer, be really polite and friendly to HR!
  • Send a thank you email, ask for their email add. for example

Final Round

• Expect four interviews, one-on-one, one 20 minute (the benchmarker, most important person - usually with a VP or Director), and three 30 minute interviews. Connect with the interviewer as much as possible.
  • Questions - do your research, I won’t list all the standard questions you might expect because they’re everywhere over the internet and you should be able to do that research yourself… but, think about who you would invest in at the moment, and why. Also make sure you know your course inside out (they are not going to expect you to know everything about the markets if your a non-numerical degree, but they will expect you to be learn-ed about your course). Expect mind bending questions like ‘if you were to subtract one layer of cubes from a rubix cube with dimensions 10x10x10, how many cubes would be left?’. The answer is more simple than you think; 8x8x8. Think about why…
  • Send thank you emails (research how to send a good thank you email) to each interviewer (and make each one unique!), mention what you discussed with him/her.

General (applies to all stages of the interview process)

• Make sure your hair is trimmed, your shaven, clean suit, clean business like shoes/tie (santa ties won’t go down well…) and lean in towards the interviewer with hands on lap rather than arms crossed etc. and have a professional attitude.
  • Be enthusiastic, do not come across too shy or too confident/cocky. These people want to know if they can work with you - who wants to work with a cocky and arrogant person?

Ps. Do not worry if they don’t get in touch quickly, generally, it takes longer than 48-72 hours for them to get in touch. It took longer than 14 days for them to get back in touch for me and offer me a place.

Hi GIRBanker,

Thanks for your information. If you don’t mind, when did you get your offer?

Many thanks for sharing GIRBanker, which division did you applied? So no numerical tests I suppose?

thanks

Has anyone heard back from the final round last friday?