Giving a presentation

‘’‘Giving a Presentation’’’

As with writing, one of the keys to giving a good [[presentation]] is organising your material. Your subject should be clearly stated, logically thought through, and explained interestingly enough to hold your audience’s attention.

‘’‘Notes’’’

• Don’t learn your presentation by heart or write down word for word. Such strategies usually result in boring delivery. Instead, make notes to refer to during the [[presentation]] so that you have something to prompt you.

• Write the notes on numbered index cards. You can then move each card to the bottom of the pile when you have used it, and will always keep your place.

‘’‘Content’’’

• Try to start with something exciting but relevant to make your audience sit up and make notice. A short, telling anecdote can be useful for this.

• Give an introductory outline of your presentation, and make sure you keep to this. Avoid introducing a completely new subject without warning halfway through, or changing the tone of your presentation.

• Use links to lead logically from one section to next: while we are on the subject of; in view of; as for; before moving on to; in spite of.

• Provide specific examples. These give the audience something to think about, and cane source for later question-and-answer session.

• If you are presenting an argument, build from the weakest point to the strongest.

• Include a few light jokes or puns, but always ensure that they are appropriate to the presentation subject and to the audience.

• Don’t be afraid to express your opinions. When you are expressing opinion rather than stating facts, remember to make this clear by using expressions such as I believe that; in my opinion; to my mind. You can show how strong your beliefs are by slightly amending some of these expressions, I firmly believe that; I strongly believe that; we are absolutely certain that; we are pretty sure that.

• Consider some aspect of audience participation. Some degree of interaction tends to make presentation more interesting.

• End the presentation with a brief recap of the main points and strong persuasive conclusion.

‘’‘Visual aids’’’

• Use visual aids to illustrate your presentation, but ensure that they are simple, useful and clearly visible from the back of the room. Well explained, well chosen and simple visual aids are more effective than under-explained, complicated visual aids. Avoid having too many visual aids since constant changes can be distracting. Be careful not to stand in front of any individuals.

• If you have access to a computer, you might consider using a presentation programme such as PowerPoint. Keep the number of slides to a minimum with no more than a few concise bullet points to each slide.

• If you are providing handouts, ensure that you have made enough copies for everyone beforehand.

‘’‘Practise and timing’’’

• If you can enlist the help of a supportive friend, try your presentation in front of them and ask for comments on any distracting habits you may have, such as fiddling with your hair or endlessly repeating a particular expression.

• Before the event make sure you run through your presentation exactly as you intend to do on the day, complete with any visuals and handouts. Time how long it takes and tailor as necessary to fit the time allotted for it. It is important to ensure that it does not overrun.

‘’‘You, your body and your voice’’’

• If you feel nervous before giving your presentation, practise deep breathing and rehearse your opening sentences.

• If you are very nervous, standing behind a lectern may help feel less vulnerable, as well as giving you something to learn on and somewhere to pace your notes.

• As you give your presentation, stand straight and keep your chin up as you speak. A strong positive posture will both improve your confidence and convince the audience that you have something interesting to say.

• Look around all faces in the audience with sweeping glances. Look members of the audience very briefly in the eye when you can, avoiding looking at anyone individual for too long.

• Subtly vary your tone of voice to add interest but make sure that you do not overdo this.

• Vary your pace, but never talk too quickly as may well lose your audience if you do.

• Pause slightly between points to show the audience when you are about to move on to a different subject. Allow pauses for audience reaction.

• Smile from time to time where appropriate. It will make you more relaxed and it will encourage a bond with your audience.

• Do not be putt off if you make a mistake during the presentation. Apologise quickly and move on.

‘’‘Summary’’’

Three helpful steps to remember when planning your [[presentation]]:

• Say what you are going to say.
  • Say it.
  • Say what you’ve said.

Remember, there are various ways of giving a [[presentation]], so stick to the one that works for you.

That’s a great post Maths1989. Thanks! …I hope you don’t mind but I edited it a little to make the style a little clearer. We also have another article on presentations, called [[PRESENTATION]], which is also useful if you are preparing for [[assessment centre|assessment centres]] where [[presentation|presentations]] are going to come up.

Cheers Maths!

P.S. …is your picture Jesus?!

No my picture is not Jesus. It is Euclid, he is the father of geometry, and he is one of the great mathematician of all time. Thank you for editting my post Redsuperted, appreciate it, I used a lot of bullet points, which I thought readers might find it useful.

I have an interview for an Assistant Risk Underwriter position, for the interview , I will be expected to research the company JJB Sports plc and be prepared to give a 15 minute presentation on your findings.

I am stuck as to how to piece together my presentation, and on what topic?

Hi KKhimji2001

Firstly, you could start with talking about JJb sport brand, financial performance, how has the current economic climate affected its finacial performance.

Secondly, what are the strategic objectives of JJB sports plc in future, e.g 25% increase market share, penetrate into new markets, diversifying etc, and what is JJB doing to achieve these objectives.

Finally just sum up briefly what you said and talk enthusiastically please.

Hope this helps, wish you lots of luck.

all of this is on their website right?

Where’s your interview at kkhim?

canary wharf why?

Follow this link ,.,http://www.jjbcorporate.co.uk/, its all here.

No, I mean, which company!

Should i just look at the annual report and go through the balance sheet and look at the key figures?

Hi kkhimji2001

Look at the balance sheet and P & L account and analyse for the past two years, ie sales increased by X% last year, profits declined by 3% and why, for example sales increased because of an increase in advertisng expenditure. Please don’t just talk about the numbers as it gets boring analysing them is better.

One other thing that I forgot to tell you, is corporate social responsiblity,., ethics, moral issues and impact on JJB sports brand. This might include investing in a more environmentally friendly projects. Read the interim report and the annual report.

Good luck

The interim report is very interesting because profits have slumped, it is actually making a loss! So I can explain about the credit crisis etc, comparing it to profits in the previous years