FSA selection for Senior Associate MRGD (Garde C) role

FSA

Anyone had heard back from FSA following recent telephone interview for Senior Associate MRGD role? It’s been >3 weeks since my telephone inv and no news yet from them. No number to call them as well!!!

What do you mean no number? Surely there must be some way of contacting them?!!

I had a telephone interview for one of their supervision roles but was unsuccessful. However, I was given personal contact details prior to the interview so I am not sure what went wrong with your application. I was also contacted with the rejection rather quickly as well. It certainly wasn’t more than a week.

Have you checked back on your emails? I got the automated email acknowledgement first, but once I was through to the interview round, they provided me with a contact name.

In comparison to how quickly they dealt with me, I can only assume that no news is good news. Good luck anyway. I am dying to know what sort of people are getting through as it is not an easy process.

A bit offbeat to your question but I have applied for an Assocaie role and just finished my online financial test

Attempted 15 of 22. I must admit, it was a bit tough on timing.
Got the answer to the 22nd question and just as I was about to click the correct answet, the test finished.

From experiences, do you guys think its got chances of sailing through, of course considering I get atleast 14 right = 63%

Hi DesperateHousewife and sammy_d,

What were your telephone interviews like? I expect them to me more difficult than grad telephone interviews

My view is, that the interview may well have been conducted by a robot. It was very impersonal and I didn’t enjoy it all. I know I didn’t do well and I am not blaming the process. It was my first formal interview in this manner and I know what to expect next time. If I were to give any advice, it would be to prepare some good examples to demonstrate the competencies. Mind you, you can prepare all you like but nerves can still get the better of you like they did me.

What was the financial test like? Does one have to be a highly numerate? Do they involve lots of graphs, data and diagrams? I did the practice numerical reasoning questions on SHL Direct . I thought they were very tough but I’m not a natural numbers person.

I’m afraid I don’t know whether or not you would sail through the test. I guess you gotta be patient and wait for the result.

What sort of questions were you asked?
Did you not have to give a financial appraisal test to get through to the telephonic interview stage

Thanks for the detailed reply Blackwheels. It’s very helpful and has given me an indication of what to expect. I’m beginning to have second thoughts about the role now. If it is gonna involve lots of financial/numerical work then it’s not for me. I am a ‘words’ person rather than numbers. Nevertheless, I’ll certainly give it a go but perhaps will not be too disappointed should I not get through.

The questions I was asked were competency based and you were required to provide examples of how you demonstrated these. There used to be a list of competencies on the FSA website but these appeared to have disappeared. However, if you look on the other forum titled ‘FSA Telephone Interviews’ you may pick up some further tips there.

I am referring to an application I made a year ago in which the second stage was the telephone interview. I think the third stage was the financial one which I never got to.

I have applied once again for an associate role and it appears that they have done away with the telephone interview. That is why I have progressed onto the financial stage.

However, I think you have put me right off! Probably saved me from a miserable working life buried under a mountain of financial data and pretending to enjoy it.

Thanks!

@DesperateHousewife-
I think if FSA is something that interests you, then you can try doing the numerical tests now and choose to take up a role further on that doesn’t require too much number crunching. However, I am not sure if that is how it works. Didn’t intend to put you off!

@DesperateHousewife-
I think if FSA is something that interests you, then you can try doing the numerical tests now and choose to take up a role further on that doesn’t require too much number crunching. However, I am not sure if that is how it works. Didn’t intend to put you off!

Hey DesperateHousewife, thanks for the comments.

I would suggest-

1. Practise as much as you can. Practise, percentage changes, currency based problems as they should surely be there is every test.
  2. If you feel like you can’t solve an answer, don’t waste time and move on. The secret here is to get as many questions right. You have to be pretty smart and quick to get all the answers. My data set 4 was toughest, questions in the end were much easier. May be the same case for others and its also a case of what you are strong at.
  3. Be confident- I have a physics and engineering background. Not exactly financ and economics but I was comfortable with numbers. Practise can offset the absence of relevant background.

Hope this helps and doesn’t confuse you more.

Hi Guys I have given 5 workings days from today to take my FSA financial reasoning test.

Will you kindly tell me what the test involves? Is there any practice book i can buy?

Is it same as numerical reasoning test?

I found this book ‘Practice Tests for Numerical Reasoning: Advanced level’ . Will it be useful for FSA Financial Reasoning test?

Hi jason_m,

I am sure books can be helpful, as long as you are practising the kind of questions that will be asked. You have 22 questions to do in 35 minutes, and yes, it will be difficult to complete. The questions take the form of a text description as opposed to graphs/charts as in efinancial careers or shl. But practising these will give you the calculations practise. There are definitely some questions based on graphs but these tend to be harder than the ones based on a general paragraph with a lot of info.
Hope this helps.
What position have you applied for?

Thanks,
blackwheels

Hi Blackwheels,

Did you hear anything from FSA after the numeracy test. I too did the test 2 weeks ago got about 16 answers right. Applied for an Associate post.

Thanks

Hi Blackwheels,

Did you hear anything from FSA after the numeracy test. I too did the test 2 weeks ago got about 16 answers right. Applied for an Associate post.

Thanks

Hi there,

Tell me about it. I gave my test about a week and a half ago but haven’t heard. What assocaite role have you applied for? I calledday before yesterday FSA and they said, they haven’t revcieved my score!!!
I called Mendas and they said my scores were sent on to FSA on 1st March. I am still waiting to hear back form FSA.
You may wanna check whats going on with your application.

Let us know how you get on.

blackwheels

Thanks. I will definitely keep you informed.

All the best!

@blackwheels and inpoint - either of you heard yet?
what roles did you apply for?

I apparently passed the reasoning test that i sat 5 weeks ago - i only know this as i contacted the FSA direct and they told me after getting no call backs from Mendas. It was for the asset mgrs and advisors associate role. Apparently I scored a 4 although no idea how this ranks??

I have just called the FSA again today as I have yet to receive official notification that I passed - indeed I currently have no idea what the next stage is or how many rounds left to go. I am currently out of work so I need to know what’s going on as really want this position.

Would be good to know if you’ve heard anything or are aware of timescales if after the same role.

Cheers

Hi compliance boy,

I have called FSA 3 times in 2 weeks and have been told that they will get back to me, but they haven’t. I am only waiting and hoping that they have a serious backlog of applications to reply to. Apparently they are hiring 450 people in the regulatory role.
That is a lot of work to do and I presume that’s causing the delay.
I appeared for my test on 27th Feb.