FDM IT training academy

FDM

Hi I have a question for FDM, or anyone who has been to an assessment day.

I just wanted to know how long the presentations are expected to last for.

Thanks

Hi,

Do you mean you have been asked to do a presentation or how long does the company’s presentation last?

Thank You

FDM

Hi,

I would like to ask the FDM representative a few questions.

I recently graduated from University Of Hertfordshire with a computer science degree. I recently applied to FDM but haven’t heard back yet probably because I just applied 2 days ago.

I am an international student currently on student visa so I was wondering whether FDM recruits graduates with student Visa.

I don’t want to come across as rude or arrogant but would just like to confirm if they are interested in recruiting graduates on a student visa so that I don’t keep any high expectations of receiving a call from FDM.

I would really appreciate if FDM could reply back ASAP

Thanks

crazyGrad

I have been asked to do a presentation on the assessment day on one of three topics.

Hello WeheWehe

Your presentation should be a maximum of 10 minutes and we suggest a minimum of 5.

Best of luck!

Hello CrazyGrad,

Sorry you haven’t heard back yet, but as you can imagine this is the busiest time for the graduate recruitment team in the year so I wouldn’t worry - it is taking longer to process applications.

We welcome applications from international students. However, my only concern would be that some student visas only allow you to work 20 hours a week. All of our roles currently are full time so you wouldn’t be able to join the programme part time.

If you could look into this and see if it is 20 hours? If not then you shouldn’t have any problem - as long as you can work full time this wont affect your application

Thanks and good luck!

@FDM regarding international student visa, what about some international students who have graduated and are ready to work full-time? Does it affect thier placement with FDM because under the terms and conditions of the visa, they are allowed to work full-time when on holiday and back to 20 hours during term time.Does that affect the contractual term to work for FDM under the 2 year period with them?

Hello,

I am not sure what the visa regulations are but if you can work full time then it would be fine. Remember though, it is a 2 year commitment so you want to make sure you can fulfil the whole two years and training period. I am not sure how long your student visa lasts after graduation so if I were you I would also check the criteria for your next one including how much you have to earn to be valid, etc

Thank You

hi i have passed the telephone interview and have the assessment for a testing role next week coming from a mechanical engineering role i am very worried about the levels of IT required in the logic and technical test.
please advise the best way to prepare for this part of the assessment.

hi i have passed the telephone interview and have the assessment for a testing role next week coming from a mechanical engineering role i am very worried about the levels of IT required in the logic and technical test. please advise the best way to prepare for this part of the assessment.

Hello.

During the FDM assessment process the technical competency is marked according to the position you have applied for. Practicing online numerical reasoning and logic tests is the best method of preparation for the technical competency test.

Best of luck!

Ladiesman, FDM is a unique company.

Be aware that being taken on the training scheme is not the same as being offered a paid job.

I’d have a look at some comments from people who have been trainees and also those that progressed to getting a paid job on glassdoor.com

Many of the comments are from US, but they equally apply to the UK

If you feel it’s still for you then good luck, but know what you are getting into by asking former trainees would be the best and most genuine advice I could give you.

Thanks man am looking into it but at the same time
Am
Applying elsewhere. And am not getting any luck. Got a 2:1 mech eng degree but crappy a levels can’t apply to many grad scheme . Fdm seems like the only promising. Way out.

Been reading the reviews. They dot all sound good. But then again. What is . I just want a job and to work . Need to look into their cooling off period thing tho. A bit worrying

Did u apply for fdm please share your experience . Or use my false email

Desimate100@consultant.com

An insight would be nice

“Been reading the reviews. They dot all sound good. But then again. What is . I just want a job and to work . Need to look into their cooling off period thing tho. A bit worrying”

It isn’t a job that you are signing up for, it is a 20 thousand pound training course - hence you get a cooling off period like you were buying something expensive - which you are.

At the end of your however many months training you have to wait a further 3 months for FDM to try and find you a placement

If they don’t , only then can you leave or apply for something else

By this time you will have probably accumalated a huge debt to add to your university student loan

It’s a really big risk and it’s you that’s taking it. FDM aren’t paying you. If they can’t find you anything they don’t lose out anything like what you do.

It seems like a good idea if you are desperate for work, but all I can offer you is a ‘look before you leap’ warning.

Thanks man
Will look into it , got interviews this week will see how it goes first . Not even sure will Pass the tests .

Has FDM actually sued anyone that has broken a contract?

As it seems like a great opportunity and do not know why anyone would not take it and learn.

Hello,

The training cost clause is there to protect the company. If it wasn’t there we would attract a lot of people who would just do the training part and then we may never hear from again. For example, a lot of candidates would do the Prince 2, which is not a cheap qualification to get yourself. Obviously this all costs the company money but is an investment in you for us. If someone leaves after the training we lose this so it is there to protect FDM.

If someone should leave after the training it is at the company’s discretion whether we pursue costs and this would depend the circumstances and reason for the termination of the contract.

Ultimately, it does not make much sense for a trainee not to continue on to do the two years work - this is not only a job, but a fast track way into the industry so its perfect for a graduate who wants to get in IT quickly and at a high level.

Hello FDM

It doesn’t make sense for a trainee not to continue on to do the two years work, but not everyone who joins is offered the work.

Some people spend months training and get no work.

The contract needs to protect these people as well as yourselves.

Dan

Hi,

This is towards the FDM operator.
May I ask… I am an experience consultant and I have many to offer. I am willing and eager to go through the FDM training but since I will need to relocate to the UK for that ( which I have no problem doing so) I will need to be payed from day one. I have been called for a telephone interview…But the truth is without pay trhoughout the training it will be impossible for me to Relocate+survive. Is there any assistance in such situations?