FDM IT training academy

FDM

Hi,

For our regular streams the recruitment is ongoing. This includes; Java, .Net, Application Support, Infrastructure, Testing and PMO (although you may sometimes have to wait for an available start date as this stream is very popular).

We have bespoke opportunities occassionally, for instance we are currently seeking French speakers to go through the .Net programme for a specific client opportunity and these roles sometimes have deadlines.

I believe that Milkround put deadlines on all there roles but sometime it refers to when the advert expires, which is often the case with ours.

Thank you and best of luck!

Hai,
Can any one tell me please what questions they are asking in fdm telephone interview and on assessment day?
THANKS.

I am staggered that this scheme is still going. I’d be even more staggered if it was legal. It acts solely as a middleman between workers and companies making it’s money by signing people up and then farming them out to companies to work under pay and conditions that are in all likelihood illegal

Hello,

We are actually relaunching our website so the team has been working hard on building our new one, which will launch over the weekend. As a result some of the content on the current site which requires updates has been removed temporarily.

However, here is our placement news from last week that went out internally:

Murex:

Congratulations the following 5 consultants from the Murex stream, Pierre Jakomin, Saranjam Zamand, Nikolaos Vysaras, Aydin Cinarli and Stefan Illie who all secured placements last week with Murex in Paris! FDM would like to wish you a safe trip across to France and the best of luck with your placements.

FIAT:

FIAT announced late last week that our two test interviewees, Sonia Osa-iduma and Marcel Milner had been successful. Sonia and Marcel can look forward to their starts with our new client next Monday. Good Luck to you both!

UBS:

Another week of UBS placements, with deals secured globally! Musa Hassan is due to commence his placement in London mid may, and two US consultants, Kelvin Fang and John Kozyrakis are expected to start towards the end of May. Well done.

Keep an eye out for our new website next week!

10 May 2012 - 10:50am
FromB4
I am staggered that this scheme is still going. I’d be even more staggered if it was legal. It acts solely as a middleman between workers and companies making it’s money by signing people up and then farming them out to companies to work under pay and conditions that are in all likelihood illegal

In a nutshell…That is FDM

praveen : You are asking this in a thread where representatives from the company post…really?

Well here’s my experience - after completing my training I didn’t get placed within 90 days so I got my agreement terminated and left the company. I wasn’t the only one. Think carefully before joining that company cos it may cost you a huge amount of money and time, and there is no guarantee that you’ll get a job afterwards.

ITmanian - I hear after completing the 10-16 weeks training period you now need to go into their office everyday, 9-5 for a further 90 working days, with no pay? That sounds crazy!

Just one clarification - it is not 90 working days - that’s it, the agreement says that if you do not get placed within 90 days (whether they are weekends, bank holidays, christmas, etc.), you are allowed to leave.

Hello everyone.

I’ve only just spotted this programme, was wondering if anyone could tell me the ins and outs about the software test analyst programme i.e. minimum education requirements and recruitment process?

ITManiac - I have been told it has changed now maybe i am wrong. Maybe someone with one of these new contracts can confirm?

Hello Tom

I’ve only just spotted this programme, was wondering if anyone could tell me the ins and outs about the software test analyst programme i.e. minimum education requirements and recruitment process?

I believe that the recruitment process is the same for all programmes so when someone talks about joining as a developer or in PMO , you will join the same way.

ins - Its quite easy to get accepted on the programme.
outs - these have been covered elsewhere on the thread… pay, whether you get a job at the end of the training, where you have to work if you get a job etc. Mainly you have to sign a 2 year contract which is heavily in FDM favour and if you don’t see it out FDM will charge you a lot of money.

I don’t know how easy it is to get a software test analyst job after training maybe someone currently on the programme can tell you that.

Good luck.

Hello, i attended an assessment day recently and have some concerns.

apparently after you finish your course you have to pass a signing off process of exams and interviews before FDM start counting the 90 days where you can leave with no charges due if they don’t find you a job. the problem is it is at their sole discretion whether you have completed this successfully or not

I spoke to people there already who had finished their training months ago but were still having to go in every day unpaid with no interviews and no idea of when they would be able to leave, as they were effectively trapped with a £20,000 price tag to get out of the contract

it seemed like a really depressing atmosphere, apparently other students had run out of money, stopped going in or moved to other countries to escape!

Why is none of this explained?

We only get told about the success stories where people get jobs after a few weeks, not the reality of what seems to actually be happening…

Yeah, FDM doesn’t care whether you’ll get placed or not - they just need to have enough people “in case” they have some jobs coming through from time to time, but they always have more people than jobs so they get all of their places filled. It is a depressing environment cos you have to go there every day with the though that you might or might not be placed, so better to stay out of there.

Concerns: I agree with ITmaniac there, they do not care whether you get placed or if you like your placement. It is just a business for them and you are the product they earn ALOT of money on (it’s more than 3 times what they pay you in a year).

The exams are not the issue though; it is the poor quality of training. A lot of the trainers teach multiple subjects, some of which they do not have any experience in and have learnt a few weeks before from one of the other trainers. After the exams you would have a sign off interview for which the pass/fail is at FDM’s discretion.

hello all, many thanks for everyone’s advice so far. But what exactly do you do in the 90 days when you come into the office whilst they find you a job after training? Do they carry on training you? Do they make you do admin work?

Many thanks in advance

You don’t do anything really. You are supposed to keep brushing up on your skills and self study. Trust me you will need to, specially if you don’t have a technical background as the training isn’t very good not like QA or ILX group.

hi simplyjulian, thanks for answering. I was interested in the developer roles, so not sure what kind of qualifications QA or ILX group provide or whether they’re relevant to me. does anyone know what the development training in java or .net is like at FDM? did people find it hard/easy? I’ve done a technical degree, but I’ve not really got much practical experience in programming either. I am concerned that they would take me on in the scheme, if they didn’t really believe I could be competent enough by the end of the course, since I would then have a really hard time on the job.

also does anyone know what happens if you do get invited to jobs in the 90 days, but you keep failing interviews with clients? do FDM blame it on you, and expect you to give them the training money back?

a question for FDM: if you’re supposed to self study, why can’t this be done at home, which would mean less traveling costs for the employee?

Hi Eden,

During the 90 days, if it is difficult for a candidate to come in, we do try to work something out with them. Although it is our policy, it can still be assessed on a case-by-case basis.

The reason we ask you to come in is because often opportunities come up quickly and we need to get you prepped straight away - I know from experience of trying to get in touch with people off-site, it is not the same and can make things difficult. Secondly, there is a lot that can be done in-house, obviously the extra study and you may get the opportunity to undertake qualifications and/or training, not on your syllabus, but in addition.

FDM do not make you do admin work! However, some people are asked if they would like to do internal projects. For instance, Testers can often pick up work internally testing our website etc. Infrastructure professionals can work with our IT Infrastructure team internally and there is often development work going on too. This work is not always available, but is useful if it is because that would be your first job. So yes, we do often ask signed-off trainees to work internally, but it would not be admin work, it would be relevant to your field of IT, and you would continue to be put forward for placements.

Hope this helps