EDF telephone interview

I’ve applied to the EDF nuclear engineering scheme and have a telephone interview in the next couple of days. If anybody has any pointers I will be eternally grateful!

Thanks

So i had it this morning- went pretty well I think, but obviously can never be certain about the outcome. I won’t list the questions I had now in case a competitor gets a place at the assessment centre rather than me, but I will give a brief outline:

Started with around 3 short typical interview questions that I wasn’t really expecting as I thought it would be 100% competency based.
Then 3 competency questions.

I will post back the actual questions once I know whether I was successful or not…

I had mine yesterday. Wasn’t the most convenient date for an appointment as i had only finished my end of term exams the day before and was feeling a bit ropey for an interview.

Dont think I did myself justice but had answers for all the questions. After the typical do you have any disabilities, have you prepared for this interview etc. I only had five questions. And the interview lasted just short of 20mins.

She started talking about the arrangements for the assessment centre at the end which got me excited. Then said she would let me know after christmas if i have been successful. Was this the same for you djamck?

Also, if i now look at my account area it doesn’t say “pending decision” or anything along those lines it is just blank. Is your’s the same and when are you expecting a reply?

Another tactic I adopted was not using examples already used on my application form. Do you think that’s what was expected?

She started talking about the arrangements for the assessment centre at the end which got me excited. Then said she would let me know after > christmas if i have been successful. Was this the same for you djamck?

Yes, but I think it is standard for them to say this. I had a mediocre interview with npower for which I wasn’t successful and the guy was still positive and mentioned the arrangements.

It’s a competency interview, so everybody will be scored (yes a number I think) and they will make their decision once they have all the scores. Even if you do well, it may not be enough! :frowning:

Also, if i now look at my account area it doesn’t say “pending decision” or anything along those lines it is just blank. Is your’s the same and > when are you expecting a reply?

I haven’t looked. I know the deadline is the 31st so I would expect to hear pretty soon after that if not before. We will definitely get an email to let us know, and at the moment as far as I am concerned no news is good news! :slight_smile:

Another tactic I adopted was not using examples already used on my application form. Do you think that’s what was expected?

I hope not because I did talk about some of the things I had mentioned on my application.

Good luck and hopefully I might see you at an assessment centre.

I did my numerical test few days back but havent heard anything. The application just says - thank you for completing the numerical test…
Any idea if I have passed the test?

It took a week for them to come back to me following my completion of the numerical reasoning test. Bearing in mind the time of year though I wouldn’t be suprised if it took two weeks or longer. I had my telephone interview on the 17th and I’m still waiting on their decision.

hi

I have a telephone interview coming up with EDF Energy and I will massively appreciate if someone on this thread can share his/her experience. I notice the company has not explicitly mentioned on its website the competencies they’d be assessing the candidates on.

ta!!

Hi JLancashire,

I notice you’ve already had a telephone interview with EDF. It would be a great help if you can tell me about the competencies EDF is specifically looking for? I’ve spent plenty amount of time on their website looking for this piece of information and there is no clear mention on the competencies. What sort of behavioral questions were you asked in the interview?

Wish you luck on the outcome.

thanks!!

Hi all

can some one guide me regarding the Online numerical reasoning test
can you post some examples

thanks

God bless you

Can someone guide me through the online numerical test, I have four days

Last night my friend told me it is PSL based test

can any one confirm it

It is an SHL numerical reasonin test.

Hi,

It is SHL test and quite easy, easier than SHL tests for investment banks. You have 18 questions to answer in 25 minutes.

Regards

Hi JLancashire/ djamck,

Would u be kind to share the competency questions asked? I ve my interview on thursday and applied for the finance scheme, so am not ur rival as we didnt apply for the same scheme.

Thanks

I’d be reluctant to tell you the exact questions I was asked because I’m sure they change from candidate to candidate depending on the course of the interview. I don’t know the specific competencies they are looking for but my advice would be to think carefully about your weaknesses in the past and how you would change in the future. This is where I tripped up. It’s easy enough to rattle off past examples of teamwork and success but make sure you’re prepared to be critical about your own performance if they ask.

Good luck.

I’d be very suprised if i find out I’ve progressed to the next stage!

But touch wood and perhaps see you at the assessment centre.

Fingers crossed

And wrt to the numerical reasoning test…

This is my take on it (opinions may differ!)

Below is a response I gave to somebody who sent me a private message about it yesterday

Well I’m a civil engineer and I’ve previously sat these tests with Network Rail and Lloyds for internships. I actually thought the Network Rail one would be easier than the Lloyds one but I was wrong and only passed the Network Rail one last year. I think the key is to make sure you interpret the data correctly. With Lloyds it was all financial data which I had no experience in handling. The EDF one is fairly straight forward. Simple calculations involving energy consumption and manipulating percentages and other graphical data. It doesn’t involve much more than mulitplication (perhaps followed by subtraction and addition to compare figures) , or perhaps calculating %growth after 5years say.

Make sure you get 100% on the practice questions before you start and bear in mind it will be harder under the pressure of time. You are given a timer so as long as you pace the questions you shouldn’t go wrong. Just rember to read the data correct 1st time! Each set of data has around 4questions allocated to it. So don’t confuse what information you are being given and foul all the questions up for that section!

I don’t know how I scored but felt pretty confident I got above 80%. And as far as I remember there were not any obvious tricks! If you get the an answer which fits one of the provided multiple choice solutions it was generally correct.

ok JLancashire

Thanks, for the numerical test help

Like JLancashire I’m reluctant to mention the specifics of my interview (not that I can remember that much now). I was only asked 3 copmetency questions and I expect they were chosen from a list of a few more so it’s probably best to have as much prepared as possible.

Regarding the numerical test, I found it much easier than others I have taken. It is SHL. Funnily enough I made a hash of the practice test, but found the actual one straightforward. I even had plenty of time left, which is not the case for the kenexa ones I have taken.

Good luck.

You re welcome