Dixon Wilson Chartered Accountants Interview (1st stage)

Below is a run down of my experience with Dixon Wilson since there is no information regarding this medium firm:

In the 3 hours I was there I was required to do a numerical test, verbal reasoning test, written communication test and interview with HR manager.

NUMERICAL TEST

This is very different to your standard SHL/Kenexa numerical tests…it is nothing related to interpreting data, graphs and tables. It was more so a test of GCSE mathematics. Examples of questions included:

• Finding the speed when given two other variables
  • Simultaneous equations
  • Summing quantities in different measurements
  • Finding the ‘X’ of a particualr question

VERBAL REASONING TEST

This was very much like the standard SHL tests. It was a SHL test, in fact, and there are about 38 questions to answer in 18 minutes. Its do-able but you are very time pressured.
My advice would be to just practice the ones that SHL provides on their website.

WRITTEN COMMUNCATION

I was given a laptop and 20 minutes to type up a letter based on a scenario given. The scenario was about a client having talked to you informally about transferring money to his daughter who studied law and has a training contract and just came back from travelling on her gap year. He wishes to make a gift of £20,000 to his daughter. Your job is to write a letter to organise a meeting and suggest to have lunch afterwards as well as informing the client the themes that he should think about in anticipation of the meeting - nothing techinical is required.

INTERVIEW

Interviewed by the HR manager and the questions were as follows:

• Why accounting?
  • Why Dixon Wilson?
  • Why your University?
  • What module did you find the most difficult at University?
  • What do you think you will be doing in tax? audit? and accounts?
  • What types of tax do you think concerns our clients?
  • What are the largest costs on the income statement for our clients?
  • What challenges does a medium sized firm, like Dixon Wilson, face?
  • Give me an example of when you worked well in a team
  • Give me an example of when you didn’t work well in a team

Thats all that I can remember…there were some technical questions on tax, audit and accounts. So my advice would be to prepare and get a basic understanding of all 3 areas of service since the role with Dixon Wilson will require you to work in all lines of service that they provide.

Hope this helps anyone who is interested in applying! Best of luck!

Heya,

I also went for an interview with Dixon Wilson two weeks ago and had the exact same experience. My only advice would be to read the website properly and have some idea about the differences and problems facing accountancy/audit/tax.

I had my second round interview yesterday which was very different.

Questions:
Why accountancy
What do you think are the most important skills you will bring/most important skills for the job
Discuss a time when things havn’t gone well for you.

Apart from that, it was really more of a personality interview - but be warned, the last question, as ever is “what can you tell me that you havn’t put on your form” - and it is one you really shouldn’t stumble on. Following this was a quick tour of the office.

All in all it lasted just about an hour, and I was called the next day and given an offer.

Hope that helps

I’ve got an interview on Thursday, so please can you help me out a bit.
What did you answer to:
-What are the largest costs on the income statement for our clients?

• What challenges does a medium sized firm, like Dixon Wilson, face?

Also, do you have any examples, apart from charities, of existing clients of Dixon Wilson.

Thanks

I recently had my interview and can confirm that I had almost the same interview as the original post said. I actually found this maths test to be more challenging than the ones on SHL. In my experience, I spent more time per question on this test than I did on the SHL tests. The 18 questions took me about 40 minutes to do, but they are all very doable. A lot of conversions to do and manipulating VAT. A question they ask is:
If it takes A people, B hours to do C, how many hours would it take X people to do Z?

Numerical and verbal test were probably the same as what he had, however the letter writing test was different. This time it was to organise a meeting with a potential client about payroll.

The questions I got were almost identical. Only differences were that she asked me about the ACA qualification, a commercial awareness question regarding the business that I am in right now and to describe a time when I had to meet a lot of deadlines.

The interviewer is very friendly and is very relaxed. Try not to panic!

I had my 1st interview last week and I can confirm the questions are the same as in the 1st post.the only additional question I was asked was 1)What do you think you will be doing during your first year in Dixon Wilson.
Also,the numeracy tests consist mainly of VAT calculations and many questions are in the format “it takes 6 people 2hours to build 5 chairs,how many chairs can x people build in y hours”

what kind of maths should i revise for the tests? and will we be allowed calculators?

i take it the VAT calculations need percentages? but im more worried about the other types of questions…should i look over simultaneous equations, algebra? and what about things to do with shapes, measurement and volume?

any help would be greatly appreciated…thanks!

what kind of maths should i revise for the tests? and will we be allowed calculators?

i take it the VAT calculations need percentages? but im more worried about the other types of questions…should i look over simultaneous equations, algebra? and what about things to do with shapes, measurement and volume?

any help would be greatly appreciated…thanks!

also how long did they take to ge back to you?

erm basic simultaneous equations,i got one question on that and 2 questions where u had to re-arrange an equation to solve for a variable so for instance u will have A=b+c+d and the question will ask for you to solve for d when A=4,b=5,c=1 or something like that.
Also the vat calculations all use 17.5% as the percentage for calculations.
NO u dont need to do anything with shapes or volume,the whole test is jus vat questions,simultaneous equations and those “t takes 6 people 2hours to build 5 chairs,how many chairs can x people build in y hours” kind of questions.
Theres also a standard SHL verbal test and finally u will be asked to write a letter to one of their clients,mine was to write a letter arranging a meeting with a prospective client who was considering to employ Dixon wilson for Payroll services

thanks bho500…thats really helpful!!

What are the largest costs on the income statement for our clients? can anyone please help with that?

what did you answer for those question?

wages. and then operating expenses are usually double wages.

Hey,

Does anyone have a recent interview experience with Dixon Wilson? I am applying to Dixon WIlson for a graduate job and would like to know more about anyone’s overall experience with the firm and the selection process?

Hi acciuntancy:grad,

I had my 1st round interview with Dixon Wislon this year in March (5 months after I applied to them) and my 1st round interview was the same as the one outlined at the start of this thread. i got the offer for a 2nd round 2 days afterwards and it was the same as the 2nd message on this thread indicates (the only difference being that i got asked “What would be the challenges a start-up business faces in the present economic climate?”

The interview went well and afterwards, a present trainee gave me a tour of the Office. I got my offer 2 weeks later.

I hope that helps. :slight_smile:

Hi acciuntancy:grad,

I had my 1st round interview with Dixon Wislon this year in March (5 months after I applied to them) and my 1st round interview was the same as the one outlined at the start of this thread. i got the offer for a 2nd round 2 days afterwards and it was the same as the 2nd message on this thread indicates (the only difference being that i got asked “What would be the challenges a start-up business faces in the present economic climate?”

The interview went well and afterwards, a present trainee gave me a tour of the Office. I got my offer 2 weeks later.

I hope that helps. :slight_smile:

hey,

I’ve got an interview this week with dixon wilson and was wonerinf if anyone could help me on what to expect with the tests and the final interview? as these comments seem a bit dated

Any help would be great!

Hi there, I also have an interview coming up with dixon wilson (for the Paris office)! if you’ve been through the first round interview, would you mind telling me what to expect? any help would be much appreciated :slight_smile:

me too! Any advice would be grand

I have my partner interview coming up this week. Is there anyone who had a recent experience? Any help would be appreciated.