Deloitte's e-tray - tips from a survivor

Hello!

I had my final assessment day at Deloitte this week and I passed!

I’m so happy!

In a karma perspective, I’d like to pay back the suggestions I received from the website by offering some to new people.

For my final assessment day, the only thing that really worried me was the etray exercise. If you have tried this

FastStream - Example e-Tray Exercise

you will find it very similar. In general the difficult thing is to remember as much information as you can and to be able to find QUICKLY anything that you are not sure about.
Unluckily, all the info is spread over e-mail (with attachments) divided into 3 folders of your e-mail system, therefore a lot of time will be wasted just accessing folders and so on.

My geekish and practical advice on how to handle this best is to do the following

1 - Before you start the exercise, move the Windows Task Bar from the bottom side of the screen to to the left hand side of the screen and make it a bit larger (try now on your PC, if you are using Windows)
2 - As usual when you use Windows, any open document/application will appear in the task bar
3 - As you start the exercise, open the first information e-mail of the first folder (not the inbox) and read it summarily. On a piece of paper, make a note of the content of the e-mail itself as the subject is not always intuitive
4 - Continue with the second e-mail of the first folder

Basically, the idea is to open all the relevant documents IN ORDER and never close them. They will appear on your task bar all the time in the same order you will have them written down on the piece of paper. Note that some information e-mails have basically no content because they have attachments, in that case you should keep the attachment open and close the e-mail.

I know this might sound silly, but in general I think it is very helpful to be in the condition of

1 - receiving an e-mail in the inbox
2 - reading it and understanding what is asked of you
3 - understand what kind of information you need to know in order to answer (about your fictional company, about your fictional client, deadlines rather than budgets etc)
4 - look it up in your piece of paper (which will have clearly written down stuff like “Project deadlines” or “client’s organisation” rather than some deliberately unclear e-mail subject)
5 - click on your task bar to maximise the relevant document rather than leaving the inboix, opening one of the information folders, opening the right info e-mail, opening the attachment

I did think of this too late but it would have helped me a lot if I had thought of it beforehand.

The e-tray exercise is NOT difficult,m but you have some time constraints. Especially, if it is difficult to judge how much time you should spend on each e-mail and it is important to understand that there are two types of them:

1 - e-mails that do need a right answer (usually involving calculations)
2 - e-mails that just ask you to make a choice (to be kept in mind to show consistency throughout your answers and decisions)

I hope my suggestion helps.

Anyone with Wiki skills might want to put it in the Wiki, it could be a good idea.

Cheers

Hello FranzTheStampede,

could you tell me more about the E-Tray exercise? is it the one that they have as an example on their website (GDT/Trafford Lea - where you are a senior project analyst)???

Could you please give me more advise:

• How many e-mails do you receive
  • Broadley, what is their content about
  • Some good tips as the one with the windows-bar but related to the content

if you did not have the topic GDT/Trafford Lea…than what topic was it?

I have my e-tray on tuesday…it would be nice if you could send me some info until tomorrow.

Thanks a lot in advance
Teo

…this could be helpful - E-tray exercise | WikiJob - good luck!

hii its really helpful, i have few questions:

1. is there any economic graph i should pay attention to?
  2. may i know what is your criteria to postpone a task?
  3. what is the criteria to put the task on priority list?
  4. under what situations can a project go over its budget?

by the way what are the calculations involved??

Look here too:

http://www.wikijob.co.uk/wiki/deloitte-interview-questions

its usually within 3 days

Hi Everyone,

Firstly, thanks a lot for the hints to FranzTheStampede. I followed them thoroughly and they turned out to be extremely helpful. I passed my Deloitte E-Tray recently :slight_smile:

My share of advice for prospective applicants, also partially repeating what has been said previously:

• open and familiarise yourself with ALL the content of the folders BEFORE you start answering the emails in the inbox. Some choices require a combination of several information sources.

• really, DO NOT CLOSE any emails and attachments containing some info during the entire exercise, even though it seems you already have exploited the information while answering some emails. You will have an ongoing correspondence on several issues simultaneously, which you need to resolve by the end of time assigned to the exercise.

• where you need to make a choice, just follow your intuition.

• Writing exercise: be decisive, but objective. Clearly communicate your preferred choice, but advice on the disadvantages and caveats of making it. This should convey the impression, that you are a careful analyst.

Good luck!

Hey monoose, hey everyone,
congratulations for passing the E-Tray. I do not want to discourage anyone, but after passing the E-Tray I also waited to be contacted by the HR “soon”. They did so after approx 2 weeks stating that they were sorry to inform that all vacancies had been filled for this year. The best they could offer was to transfer me to the next year’s process.
I hope you will not have that kind of answer!

Hi everyone, I’ve got to complete an etray exercise sometime this week, could anyone give me a bit of insight as to what sort of emails to expect?

Thanks!

Hi, Jobseeker321
Is that true?..I just finished my e-tray and now really worry about this kind of thing happens…Could you tell me which year’s intake and which service line you applied for? It is strange really…

The written exercise has preset options which we need to analyze and conclude with our recommendation or we will have to come up with a fresh solution to the problem posed?

thank you all for the help