Deloitte

Deloitte

Hi everyone,

I’m a student at a non-target and have been offered a position on the summer scheme for consulting at Deloitte which I am chuffed about. I’ve heard a lot of amazing things about Deloitte and whenever I’ve visited their offices I’ve always felt very welcome and appreciated.

Having said that, I do have a few questions about them. Firstly, is the type of work at Deloitte as high profile and exciting as the likes of MBB (Mckinsey, Bain, BCG)? Also is Deloitte as prestigious as the other three? And if no for either question (which I suspect it might be), how far off them is Deloitte? Is it common or easy to go from Deloitte consulting to MBB? Also is it common for employees joining after graduation to be put through business school for their MBA at Deloitte, as the MBA is one of the things I’ve always really wanted to do. And if I were to apply to MBB for a graduate role post summer internship, what are my chances from a non-target?

I know this might sound silly, but a relative of mine who works at a big strategy consultant once told me that ‘the Big 4 aren’t really that good at consulting’, I know I shouldn’t base my opinion of them on this one statement but it’s just been stuck in my head ever since. Is this true and to what degree? Also was that person maybe talking about the other members of the big 4 since they dropped their consulting arm post-Enron and are now slowly building it back up?

Apologies for all the questions, I’m just really curious and excited about this opportunity! If anyone has any questions about the recruitment process I’d be more than willing to answer and help you with it.

Hey there,

This is just my 2 cents. For Deloitte, and similar firms as PwC, most universities are ‘target’ as they love diversity! So you are probably target for them.

Consulting wise, Deloitte is a strong firm, obviously not as big as an MBB. It would be difficult going from Deloitte to an MBB IF you had a graduate job with them. However as you are just doing an internship, you can work with this to your advantage. Most consulting places offer more graduate roles than summer internships! So bare that in mind!

I would have to say that networking is a key part to get in though. As a lot firms such as McKinsey, BCG are ideal for the ‘Oxford crew’ and PhD students. So remember that :slight_smile:

Thanks for your reply, financeboywow, anyone else got opinions on this?

Hi there,

I also got an offer from one of the big fours. In my opinion, what I really like about the Big 4 is the amount of support they provide you when you are taking your professional qualifications.

I attended their spring week and was fortunate to talk to many of their staff. There was this girl who struggled while taking her professional papers. But the company especially her manager was very helpful. They extended her study leave so that she could have more time to study. Not only that, people in her team also helped her in her revisions.

Secondly, I disagree that the Big 4’s consulting arm is not as good as the traditional consulting firms. The Big 4’s are catching up very fast.