Deloitte- The process- Partner Interview and Etray

Deloitte
Civil Service Fast Track

I have just completed the application process at deloitte and to my complete relief I have been made an offer. I found this web site very useful throughout the process so I thought I would provide feedback.

While this website is very useful take everything with a pinch of salt. When I was reading around more often than not it would worry me more as it seems some people have had some difficult experiences. Mine however was not too bad.

The main thing to concern yourself with in the first interview is make sure you go over your competencies and obviously as everyone one states make sure you do 2 for each. This takes roughly an hour and a half and that was it. My interviewer was a very nive bloke and this was simple.

The assessment centre is when I started to worry. It’s a good idea to complete the online civil service e tray. This will not emotely help you with doing the question as they are completeley different and dont be put off by the siz of the articles as the deloitte one is not half as long. It is however useful just fo haveing an idea of the way its formatted so you have no suprises. I actually ran out of time in my etray and missed the last 3 questions which was incredibly frustrating but i passed and that is all that counts.

The partner interview again was a worry but this turned out to be very relaxed.We did some competencies and mainly talked about my experiences. No real commercial awareness whoch suprised me. This area is luck however because it does all depend on what partner you get. If they are interested just ignore that and answer there questions.

SOme people on here have posted some real horror stories and have had problematice experiences. However apart from the stress of waiting to hear if I got an offer the process while being very long is not that stressful.

hi, congratulations on the offer! How did you structure the written part of the excersie? how much did you write? btw is this for london audit? thanks

The best way to structure it is with bullet points and to keep everything concise. All in all I wrote probably an a4 page’s worth. I found that I had plenty of time for this part of the e-tray. The position I applied for was erst not audit.

Good luck in your interviews.

I do not agree with the above statement, I think it is better to show you have adequate writing skills and can construct an argument with good justification…e-tray is reasonably easy although there are a few questions which you may think for a few mins on because of the nature of the different answers.

ojc99 - how do you think I should go about constructing my email? how did you approach the task?

Well the way I approached it was a formal letter style, Dear Bob I think his name was… etc. and a brief introduction about what you’re going to discuss… e.g. make a recommendation. So my structure essentially was…

Intro - Summary of all options - Recommendation and justification

Can’t remember how much it actually ended up but was a decent amount.

I would agree with OJC99. They are looking for good writing skills, which means that you need to show you can write a constructive argument in full prose. I did exactly the same as OJC99, 1) intro, 2) advantages and disadvantages of each company, 3) summary and justification for picking the company I did and for not picking the ones I didn’t.

While Joseph got the job and so I was hesitant to say anything before, I wouldn’t have thought that bullet points were the best way to go about proving writing skills.

so I should or should’nt use bullet points?

While I would still advocate the use of bullet points I would completely agree with the structure outlined above. I did something similar with intro followed by justifications ect.
The main difference is that I bullet pointed my advantages and disadvantages for each of the three acquisition options. You can quite easily illustrate “good writing skills” in a bullet point format.
The purpose of the email was to summarise reasons for an acquisition which are going to be used in a presentation by one of your colleagues therefore you do not want rambling justifications. I would recommend trying to keep it concise. I would not summarise all points.
My email was also not in a formal letter style as it was to a close colleague who needed an urgent summary. Not an email to a client.
It really does depend on your scenario and how you feel comfortable writing. I am an English grad and as long as you justify your reasons logically you will be fine.

I can see your reasoning behind using bullet points, and I would agree that it should be a more personal and not so formal email as it is to a colleague, not a client.

As long as you can demonstrate clear construct, good spelling and grammar and express your reasoning clearly and substantially then you should succeed in the written exercise.

So, top_cat, use bullet points or write in full prose, it’s not important, just make sure you do the above.

I didn’t use bullet points in mine but I did write in point format with short paragraphs. Again, I did this because the person you’re writing to wants a concise overview with clear justifications so I wanted to ensure I presented my reasoning clearly. I think bullets points would be fine, but the email still does need formality to it, despite being to a close colleague, although looking back on mine I think I was probably on the side of being a bit too formal, but it didn’t matter in the end. Better to be too formal than not formal enough!

Well considering all three of us got offers and the underlying theme between us was that our arguments were constructed with clear, brief and precise reasoning for the choice (and rejections) that we made, I would say that the construct and probably spelling and grammar are the most important things Deloitte consider. The way that its written (bullet-points or prose) and the formality would appear to be secondary considerations. So that’s what current applicants should take from our experiences.

I take on board of what everyone else has said, I suppose it may not matter the style you write it, whether that be formal or informal as it is to a colleague but remember, the guy was your boss, not a co-worker. You report to him and there are formalities in that sense. If you were to speak to a partner while as a trainee, I’m sure it is most appropriate to speak formally as you are just a little pawn. Bear that in mind when deciding on how to present the evidence.

While I agree with your point on formality with bosses, I’d question whether a trainee is ever just a little pawn to a partner, especially one that you work with often. Even as a trainee you are still a vital part of the team.