Deloitte - start to finish

Stream
Response
Civil Service Fast Track

Realising how much this forum has helped me, after being made an offer last week (for Audit at a regional office) I’ve decided to write my experience which will hopefully be of some use to others.

Application form:

I decided to do some research and make a list of bullet points about everything that I could find out about Deloitte and Audit then compile them into answers for each of the questions.

I used resources such as prospects, inside careers (really useful for information about chartered accountancy and structure of ACA), the website, careers fairs, and also attended an insight day and made notes (very useful) and Wikijob of course :slight_smile:

Seems like a lot of effort but the advantage is to keep the list of bullet points that you’ve made because you can use them to refresh your memory and some points you may not be able to fit into your application answers, you can use them when preparing for interview and gives you something different to say than what’s on your application.

Online tests:

Not much to say about this really but practice. You can find a few SHL practice tests online and also contact your careers service as mine offered me a test that wasn’t online.
The numeracy test was easy for me as I’m a Maths grad but if you haven’t done any maths for a while you can probably brush up on ratios percentages and fractions on the BBC website. I wouldn’t worry about trying to answer all the questions as I didn’t answer much over half, I think it’s more important to be thorough and get as many right as possible than guess loads because they won’t know that you’re guessing and may assume that you just don’t know how to do them.
The verbal reasoning was a little harder for me but after a few practice ones it was pretty straightforward.

1st interview:

Make sure you prepare 2 answers for each of the competencies, team work, leadership, decision making, presentations, goal achievement etc and be ready to expand on these; they may ask if anything went wrong and what YOU did to overcome it, remember to use I and not we and don’t worry too much about what the examples are that you use, I’m quite lucky that I have a lot of work experience that I could use as examples but I also used a lot of university examples. For example using module choices for decision making, and saying that you did more research on the subjects that were offered spoke to lecturers, friends that had done it the year before and attended a few extra lectures to give you a taster, that sort of thing.

Then there’s the why Deloitte, why Audit what will you be doing questions which you will already have prepared. Also they asked me to talk about the ACA and basic structure ( like I said above inside careers give a really good diagram which shows how its broken up)

Commercial awareness - I was asked, give an example of a company that you’ve followed and admire and explain why, a story that has interested you in the news, credit crunch affect on Audit, and credit crunch affect on Professional Services as a whole, and they asked me about a company that I’ve worked for before, what problems I thought they faced as a business and what would I do to overcome those problems *I don’t think this is standard as I’ve never read that anyone has been asked it before and it did take me by surprise.

This isn’t something you can blag and they will grill you on your answers, I can speak from experience. I had an email inviting me to an interview with only a few days notice, the morning after completing my online tests so didn’t have much time to prepare and hadn’t watched the news or read a paper in months.

My interviewer advised me that if I got through to the next stage then I needed to brush up on business knowledge, so I worked hard and got on top of it before my partner interview.

I found it useful to set BBC news website as my homepage so it came up every time I wanted to check face book and watched the news every morning before going to Uni and in the evenings if I had time. Downloading the BBC wake up to money podcast is really useful which gets added to your iTunes each day. I find the FT much easier to read now but found it difficult at first and would suggest only using it to look at certain stories that you find interesting in more depth. The politics show on a Sunday is pretty good.

Final Assessment Day:

etray : use the civil service fast stream website to get an idea of the basic set up as it’s very similar however don’t be put of by all the reading as there’s not as much in the Deloitte one and there are more diagrams and tables. Some small calculations will have to be made, but this is just simple addition and division which you can do in your head. I unlocked the taskbar and moved it to the side and minimised the files after reading through all of them at the beginning so I had a basic idea of where all the information was and how to get to it easily. The trick is to definitely not panic and not to spend to long on the decisions that you don’t need the folders for.

Business example: It is the one that’s found on the website and you will have to give your opinion on the growth strategy from some basic information that’s provided. Everyone is right when they say that you can’t prepare for this as it’s more a test of how you structure your answer than any business knowledge. Just make sure when you’re reading through the information that you get a clear idea of how they want you to answer it. Make sure you use bullet points, and I split mine into main advantages of choosing option A and main reasons for not choosing B or C and filled in points under each example as I moved through the information so that if I ran out of time then I had some points under each heading.

Partner interview: You have to go through your choice again and answer any questions they have about it, stay strong to your answer and argue the points and you should be ok. The partner was really nice and he again said that my commercial awareness had been picked up as not so good in my first interview so he was going to ask me more about that. He asked me what the Government has done to try and improve things, what would I do if I was put in charge of the country for a day – I didn’t expect that question and as tempting as it was to say make pjs suitable attire for any occasion lol I managed to make up a half sensible answer, What interested me in the news, then he asked me some of the other competencies, goal achievement and decision making. He also asked me if I’d had to raise any large sums of money for anything, not sure if this is standard or whether he was just asking about things from my application form. The rest of the interview was just a general chat about Audit and what was going on in the business. I got taken for lunch with a 3rd year who was really nice and he told me a lot about what the job was really like, how much work you have to do for exams and just about social life and going out.

Got a call the following morning from the partner to say that I’d got the job.

Overall the process took just over a month but that was due to Christmas and me having exams all through January. The response from Deloitte was the next day after each stage of the application process.

Sorry it’s a bit lenghty but hope this is useful and if you have any questions please ask away and I’ll do my best to help :slight_smile:

many many thanks!!!

it is really helpful!

in the written part, which company do you choose? and what sort of information did you get for each potential target? profit? sales? or anything?

in the addition information of e tray, what kind of information you got for each client?
do the emails come from clients? or internally ?

thank you very much!!!

Hi

It doesn’t really matter which one you choose as they all have advantages and disadvantages and as its a test to see how you can make a decision and argue your point, then you should choose whichever one you feel you can make the best argument for. The information is very basic and theres not much of it and its like you said, profit, costs etc with just a number or short sentence for each. It’s extremely clear which have advantages and disadvantages for the different headings. I think the most important point to remember is how you structure you’re answer.

For the etray you have information about your team and the clients team, such as job roles and availability and the emails will come form both clients and your boss and you will have to make decisions based on the information you have.

Hope that’s helped! Do you have an asessment day coming up?

hi, loo_biz, thanks a lot for your reply

i have an assessment day coming up next week, as i had a really bad experience of KPMG’s etray, there were so many details and i didnt pass it, so i am so worried about the etray

have you ever tried KPMG’s etray, if you did, what do you think it compare to Deloitte’s?

anyway, thank you very much and wish me a good luck!

What a great post! Congratulations on the job, clearly you deserve it!

C.

What a great post! Congratulations on the job, clearly you deserve it!

C.

My experience with Deloitte was somewhat different. When I went for the AC first thing I was told I am now going for lunch with a last year graduate (non-assessed part). Went to a bar around the corner and had an informal chat.

After lunch I had the e-tray exercise. I don’t want to sound too geeky bit I found it quite fun. There’s enough time to answer all the questions and I found it useful at the beginning to read through all the information. The written part was an email evaluating 3 options – which company should we acquire.

Partner interview was not as described in most of the posts on this forum. Just proves the point that a lot depends on the partner. He wasn’t really interested in talking about my acquisition choice. He just had a brief look at the email I wrote and asked me why that company? I gave a short answer and that was it. He was more focused on me as a person. Asked why this uni?/course? Tell me about yourself? Tell me about a time you were in a team? What are your hobbies? Why audit? No commercial awareness questions which surprised me. A tip I got from HR – ask the partner questions, they love talking :slight_smile:

Hi guys

Thanks so much for all this information
I just got invited to an interview and I have already done quite a bit of research on deloitte and I’m studying international finance so need to keep abreast of current financial news items however there are some really good tips in your posts such as the podcasts which ill now start downloading!

If you find reading the FT difficult I would suggest reading and understanding the FT and reading and understanding economics they are written by my lecturer and they are amazing! He has used very recent articles and analysed them, there is an explanation of all the key jargon used and excellent links to external sources of information!

I’m surprised that you guys got such quick responses from Deloitte, I applied at the begining of January and i’ve only just been invited for an interview!

Will add another post regarding what they asked in my interview for other applicants…fingers crossed I get through!

hi, becky1986

from my experiences that Deloitte’s interview was much formal than KPMG’s, for the first interview, you really should have 2 examples for each competence, and make sure that you can backup your example with some details in case he asked you numbers of follow up questions

good luck to we all!

hi jessicayao, dont worry too much about the etray! i really thought i had messed mine up but got an offer an hour after i left!
good luck!

thank you , sassymouse! and congratulation!

in the interview, what did the interviewer ask? could you plz give me some example if you can still remember them.

Big Thanks!

do u mean the partner interview? it was really more of a chat, we discussed the etray and why i chose which option i chose for about 10 mins. he then said there was no real right answer but he would have picked the same as me…
then he told me a bit about himself and what he does
then he said tell me about you…
he asked me about why my uni and subject, why service line, why deloitte
then we talked about his clients and the kinds of things i would work on
we talked about travelling
he asked me how i keep up to date with the news and any recent stories…so that was the commerical awareness which lasted about 20 mins, the whole thing was supposed to be an hour but went on about an hour and 40.
if u need anything else just let me know!

hey guys,

just wanted to thank everybody who contributed to this forum and shared the useful information. Although, I found that final assesment day may vary from experiences described here, some of the advices helped me a lot. The day was quite taugh to be honest, but I managed it and got my offer at Deloitte Consulting 2 weeks ago.

So hopefully I meet most of you in September!

Cheers!

lizo

great info seeing as I am in the same process right now. But, I am a little uncertain about the competency interview because I have examples ready for those listed on the website whereas the ones you were tested on are alightly different. Do they vary for what position you apply for or can you not know what you will be tested on?

sorry, mistake - delete this post

Hey i am preparing for an AC for IAS tax department and was wondering if anyone knew of any important scandals or events that have taken place in the tax profession, such as the Enron scandal with regards to Audit. I want to make sure the partners dont mention a name or event which i dont know anything about.

Thanks!

Did you get retested on the numeracy/verbal tests at first interview, i got an email saying you may be chosen to take the test before the interview and if you fail you dont proceed further, how likely is this??