Deloitte First Interview

Deloitte

Hello,

I have applied to Consulting (no preference) and have a first interview coming up shortly. For those who’ve had their first interviews recently, would they mind sharing their experiences? I understand that the interview will consist of a case study, and competency questions. I would really appreciate any tips/advice!

Thank you!

Hi csc13,

did you get the invite to the verbal test immediately after completing the numerical one ?

Google 89

Hey, yes, I did. I did my tests on the Friday, and got the invite on Monday morning. What have you applied to?

Best of luck!

I’ve applied for BPRC part of audit. Just passed the pre screen this morning. Did you wait long to get confirmation for your first interview?

how did it go?/best of luck if you haven’t had it yet.

Hi google89, it took about a month before I was contacted. In that time, I received emails saying that there are lots of candidates and the interviews are being given out based on the dates of application. That’s for consulting.

Hi CSC13,

Hope u had a good interview with deloitte. I have my consulting inverview coming up in 2 weeks time. Can you please share ur experience of case study interview and the kinds of questions.

My advice would be to search the forums here as I found every question I was asked had been posted here somewhere!

Thanks motivated_lad i am making note of all the questions and preparing for them…i dono how to go about case study…

Hi sunstars,

the competency questions are as described on Deloitte’s website. Prepare examples for each competency- that’s the most important thing. Regarding the case study, the questions were not from a script. At the beginning, I was asked a general question about the case, and the questions followed up from what I was saying. There were no calculations either. My interviewer was very friendly, and at one point, I asked for a couple of minutes to read through the booklet, as we discussed the case towards the end of the interview, and by that time, I couldn’t remember a lot of the details… Which service line have you applied for?

Hi CSC13

Thats so informative and many thanks… few more doubts on case study, i.does this case study deals with finance jargons? or into Mergers sort of things? Is this the similar model to the E-tray sample given in Deloitte website?

I have applied for technology integration. what have they offered u? TC or ER ? Since this is my first Graduate job interview i am bit nervous.

Many thanks once again…

Hi sunstars,

thankfully, no the case study does not have any financial jargon. My background is biology, and I did not have any trouble understanding. It was 3-4 pages long, I think. My interviewer thought that I would be better with EA, as I don’t have a technical background. I don’t know much about EA, though! Any questions, just ask!

Hi CSC13,

That great. I am browsing on how approach a case study interview as this is my first ever graduate job interview. Were u asked more than one example for competencies?

Hey,

it was more of a conversation, and I was bringing in examples as well, so strictly speaking no, I was only asked for one example. My advice for the case study would be to understand the overall goals. Relax, don’t panic, and if you need a couple of minutes to refresh your memory (my case study was towards the end of the interview), just ask. Best of luck!

I had my first-round interview in February and got through. It’s been a huge help from the posters here, so I wanted to share my experience and tips too, for anyone preparing for future interviews.

It’s basically 1-2 examples of each competency listed in the Deloitte site as others mentioned. I got asked 1 instance of giving presentation, 2 instances of working in a team, 2 instances of achieveing goals, 2 instances of planning and organising, why my University, why my course, why Deloitte, why audit, what ACA involves, what documents auditors check, how much time would ACA take in the job. Pretty much what has been said by others already. So these covered COMMUNICATION, PLANNING & ORGANISING, CAREER MOTIVATION, GOAL ACHIEVEMENTS.

To give you extra bits of info, consider these:

1. I got asked to give an example when I had to make a decision. Now I prepared 2 examples for PROBLEM-SOLVING, but I was not sure if I should use one of those 2 examples for decision-making question, as I thought if they ask me about Problem-solving examples later, then I’d run out of examples! However, my decision-making example was very much integrated within the problem-solving examples I prepared, so I went on about the first problem-solving example I prepared.

Then after some follow-up questions, I got asked to give another example of making a decision. I used my second example of problem-solving and really hoped my interviewer does not ask me about problem-solving separately or I’d be doomed. She didn’t, and so the PROBLEM SOLVING competency was about giving 2 examples when I had to make a decsion. I’d advise you to have 3 examples of decision making and problem solving, to be fully prepared.

Also, I had prepared 2 examples of decision making in my life, e.g. deciding on my uni, but I could not use them for those decision making questions as I got the impression that my interviewer wanted to hear some decision making in a team/work/project environment and not from personal life. I was asked later about why I chose my uni, so I could still use that uni decision example.

1. I haven’t seen other posters stressing on this, but let me stress on this: make sure you prepare for possible follow-up questions. I knew there would be follow-up ones, but I felt I didn’t prepare enough and felt really bad on my way back, when I thought about them.

The 3 likely follow up questions (for each example) would be: 1. what did you learn from it? 2. what would you do differently? 3. what are some of the challenges you faced?

So for example, for my decision-making example, she asked how do I go about making the decision I made, what have I learned …, and my replies did not sound convincing to myself! I prepared well for the challenges bit, so for example, when she asked about the challenges I faced for achieving my goal or when I had to plan and organise, I came out strong.

1. There was no specific examples/questions for ADAPTIBILITY competency. I wasn’t sure how to prepare for this competency, as nobody touched on this specific competency before here. I prepared two examples where I had to adapt, but I was not asked about them specifically. Perhaps they integrated it within the other competencies/questions.

2. For COMMERCIAL AWARWENESS, I got asked, what challenges Deloitte facing. I was certain to mention about the challenge in terms of providing professional services for London 2012 Olympics & Paralympics, but somehow, at that stressed environment, I haven’t mentioned it! Later on, I regretted so much that I haven’t, but I got through!

3. For the “do you have any questions” part, my interviewer closed the file where she was taking notes and I felt like my “intelligence” will not be tested as she is not taking notes. However, I did ask her quite a number of questions, I think we had a 10-minutes conversation for that part, and it was very informal and enjoyable.

4. This is what I do: I took printed slides/reports/A4 posters of my work and I showed them to my interviewer as I went through them. Maybe it impressed her, maybe it didn’t make any difference, but I always do it and I feel good about being able to show what I talk about, for example, printing the presentation slides when I had to give presentation, bringing A4 poster from my final year uni project, one/two reports showing my thorough analysis/problem-solving aptitude.

Overall, my interview lasted for full 90 minutes including the intro and ending part, and I was told by the graduate recruitment lady that I did very well in the interview. I was so tense and kept blaming myself for my flaws at the interview (e.g. stumbling on what did you learn/follow-up questions, not mentioning Olympics, etc) but I also had the feeling that I did very strongly in some parts such as CAREER MOTIVATION, COMMUNICATION, PLANNING & ORGANISING, etc.

Great post Sam thanks.

I have just passed my first interview, I would say that I got asked the generic types of questions that you would get for any other, competency based and a few commercial like what problems do Deloitte face, but nothing out of the ordinary. One thing I did that I think went down well was, when talking about the role, incorperate my questions in so it was more of a conversation, I think it made me sound really interested and the interview seemed very happy to talk about the role in more depth, which took the emphasis off me!

Thanks Sam, it’s really helpful