Deloitte Audit London - getting the job

Mazars LLP
PwC
KPMG
Deloitte
The Graduate
Google

Applying to Deloitte is similar to applying to other Big 4 (PwC, Deloitte, KPMG, E&Y) accounting firms. See my posts on the other firms I interviewed for. I got the job at Deloitte but ended up working at PwC. The application process is as follows:

[LIST]
[]Online application form
[
]Online aptitude test
[]First interview
[
]Assessment day
[/LIST]

Online Application Form

Tricky to fill out, there are a lot of questions that need fielding, and your answers have to be quite well focussed. You need to use as much of the word limit given as possible, to maximise the amount you sell yourself. You must use proof read and spell check your work; you are guaranteed not to get any further by submitting an application form with errors. Realistically, set aside a whole day for filling in the application form. The application form is not the place for humourous remarks, so don’t add any. Accounting is not a humourous business :wink:

Make sure you print a copy of your application form so you can refer to it before interview.

Online Apititude Test

Not easy, but not impossible either. Split into two parts, verbal and non-verbal. The verbal part requires you to demonstrate basic comprehension skills. There will be a passage of text, and then there will be some multiple choice questions. The exercise is designed to confuse you with ambiguity. You must answer the questions based on precisely what the text says, not what you could infer or interpret from it. You have 30 minutes to complete the test.

The non-verbal part is a math and logic test, and tests basic math skills, mainly:
[LIST]
[]Fractions
[
]Percentages
[]Ratios
[
]Interpreting data on graphs & charts
[*]Interpreting data in tables
[/LIST]

You should be familiar with the aforementioned topics otherwise you will fail miserably; although it is not a mathematical job, these basic skills are essential for accounting. You will require a calculator and some paper. Once again, there are a few practice questions. You have 30 minutes to complete the test.

Practicing Tests - Read This

The test that Deloitte use is the same as that for a large number of accounting firms, both large and middle sized. It is provided by a third party. The questions that come up are random each test, but there are only so many questions, and once you have applied to a few firms, you will see the same questions appearing time and time again. So much did this help me that one firm I applied to phoned me up to say how unbelievably well I’d done in the test. Not a surprise if you finish a 30 minute test in 11 minutes. I wouldn’t really call this cheating; there’s no way to avoid knowing the answers after having done a few tests.

You can also disconnect your computer if really stuff up the test and start again.

Honestly though, if you can’t get the test right first time then you will struggle in the job & training (in my opinion).

First Interview

I had gotten lost trying to find the office, and got caught in the rain and was soaked to the bone. My suit smelt like a dead animal. I’d also had no sleep, driven for 7 hours the night before, and had another interview booked for the afternoon at Mazars. I felt pretty ill. I was interviewed by an ex-Anderson employee at the London office, in the basement where the graduate recruitment is. He was a pretty useless interviewer, and seemed disinterested, which furthered to my woes. The standard character interview questions came up, almost robotically:

[LIST]
[]Discuss 2 examples of when you’ve been in a team
[
]Discuss 2 examples of when you’ve been a leader
[]Why do you want to work for Deloitte?
[
]What is your understanding of Audit? (audit is the process where we gain comfort over the financial statements of a company by selecting transactions on a sample basis and testing them)
[]What do you think you will be doing in your first year? (the answer is ticking, studying and working long hours)
[
]Give me an example of a company you think is good and discuss? (I used Google)
[*]Give me an example of a company you thought was poor and discuss? (I used M&S; they were having problems at the time)
[/LIST]

You must make sure you understand exactly what you will be doing in your first year, what the job is, and what the training will entail. They are looking for commitment to career, and will not admit anyone who has not done their research.

They told me they would contact me in 3 days. I had to call them after 10 days. My interview went terribly, but I was pleasantly surprised that they invited me back for an assessment day.

Assessment Day

The assessment day is split into two main parts:

[LIST]
[]E-tray exercise
[
]Partner interview
[/LIST]

The E-tray exercise is a sort of computer based business simulation. Everybody gets a computer, and on it is a simulated email inbox. Over the course of 30 minutes, emails come in, and you have to respond. There a selection of multiple choice responses. Consequent events occur based upon the choices you have already made. Sometimes you have wrestle between conflicting situations, the purpose being to determine what you’d do in said situation. I found the E-tray exercise relatively straight forward and finished with time to spare.

The partner interview is your rubber stamp. Assuming you have made it through the other parts, the partner will be vetting you to see if you are likely to fit in with the firm’s culture. You will probably be asked some questions about what you might do in certain situations, and you will probably be asked to discuss your interests and so on. This is a character test, being too up tight will not do you any good, but being too casual will not either. Partners command the highest respect from juniors so you should bear this in mind. They will be looking for social skills, the ability to act professionally and responsibly with clients. Professionalism is really key.

Getting the Job

On the way home I received a phone call from the partner offering me the position. In due course, I actually accepted a position at PwC and declined the position at Deloitte. Looking back that was the correct decision.

Hi Chris,
I have been reading your posts and find them very useful. I am having a final round for Deloitte Audit London this Thursday. Is there any more specific information/ advice you can give me apart from all those above?
Is the e-tray about the GDT and Trafford Lea example that give on Deloitte website? What is the multiple choice about ( eg: choose someone? calculating something?)
What specific questions you got asked by the partner that you found difficult/ unexpected?

Many thanks

Hello!

Firstly, make sure you’ve looked over the Deloitte WikiJob profile here:
http://www.wikijob.co.uk/wiki/Deloitte
which will give you an extra insight.

If you’ve managed to get tho the final round, you’re doing well. The e-tray exercise is not that difficult. All the information you need is provided to you in the test. The e-tray exercise presents a bunch of questions or problems, and you have to pick a solution from a choice of answers.

In order to figure out which answer to pick, you might have to calculate something from information provided, or pick someone’s name from the organisational chart provided.

With the partner you must make sure that you are trustworthy and thoughtful, such that they would place their clients in your hands. It’s more of a chemistry/personality test than anything else. One question I recall was:“Do you think it’s a good quality to say what you think in a meeting?” My answer was “Yes, but it’s an equally important quality to be able to keep quiet and listen.”

Good luck, I hope this helps! Please report back and let me know how you get on!

How did it go?

Hi Crirsm2671, I am attending deloitte assessment centre soon and to be honest really want this job so badly. Do you mind sharing your case study with me, as I understand you have been recently and hopefully they will still use the same one. English is not my first language. I do what I can to prepare in advance.

1. what are 3 companies you have to choose from? Does torrini ring your bell?
  2. which one did you choose and why?
  3. and why didn’t you choose the other two?
  4. what questions they asked you following your recommendations?

I will greatly appreciated your help if you can.

Thank you

Which case study are you talking about? There are two main sections, a business case study (which if I remember rightly looks at the take over of another company) and then also in the interview you talk about a company you think is doing well and a company you think is doing badly.

If you’re talking about the business case study, it doesn’t matter which company you pick for the divesture/takeover - there are pros and cons of all of them - all that matters is that you can explain your reasoning for your choice when asked about it.

Did you take a look at this:
Deloitte Interview Questions - WikiJob

You will probably need quite good English language skills to make it through the interview. For all front office staff, it is important to be able to communicate clearly with clients, and your interviewers will want to see evidence that you can do this.

Dear Chrism2671

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I am talking about a business case study where you have to advise a client which company they should acquire. I believe you have to choose one out of three. Basically I am trying to think of motivations for acquisition in advance. I consider my english to be quite good as I have never had problems in previous interviews. My problem is that I am not a very quick reader and I am worried I won’t be able to finish it.
However, for these 3 targets do you remember what they are? I read from another forum that one is mailing order, one is internet presence and shops and one is traditional book shop. Is that something like you had on your day?

Thank you ever so much,

J

Hi,
I don’t know what everyone else think but you don’t need to read massive essay for this case study. most of the information were in table form…

good luck
Kimi

Dear Kimi,

Thank you for your reply. If that is the case, I should be ok.

Thank you again

Jx

be self confident, you know all of those stuff from your graduate studies. so what is left for worry? nothing. just be yourself. good luck

thank you for the info chrism2671

hi,

i have got a final assessment day coming up and i’m getting really worried over this. i dont know what to expect, can anybody help me out? Thanks! =)

Dear chrism2671,

I got the job!!! so thrilled! I would like to say thank you for your useful advice. It was tough but I believe through preparation and being confident, you guys can do it!

If anybody has any questions, ask away! i will be more than happy to help:)

J

That’s what we like to see! Well done!

hi chrism2671 and everyone,
I’m applying to an Audit position in Deloitte Lebanon. I did the interview and it was quiet good, however, the officer called me and set me up a test. I have read what u guys have wrote about the test and stuff.
Can you tell me if it is difficult? I mean I will finish my BS Economics & Finance soon and I dont have a specific problem with mathematics but I just want to know if it is achievable by an average person…
Another thing, is there any websites where I can practice?

Thanks for your reply…

Hallo,
Congratulations on getting through to the tests. There are some practice tests here for you to try out:

CubiksPractice
Example Questions

These two companies make most of the tests used in the UK, not sure about Lebanon sorry.

They are achievable definitely by a maths and economics graduate, I haven’t done any maths since I was 16 (10 years) and I managed them so you should fine! The most important thing is practice speed and accuracy (better to leave a question unanswered than to guess as some firms mark negatively)

Good luck :slight_smile:

I can’t say what tests there are at Deloitte Lebanon, but generally speaking the tests wherever aren’t too difficult, so I wouldn’t worry. All you need is a basic grasp of maths: reading tables, graphs, percentages, fractions, currency conversions that kind of thing. If you can do that you will be fine.

Thank You standardcrow and chrism2671…
I appreciate your answers.
I’ll keep you updated : )

Hi Chris,

I have been asked to take the verbal and numerical test. I had done the practice test on the Deloitte website and was just wondering if the standard of the actual test is the same.

I have done test with other firms where the practice test is much much easier than the actual test.

Deloitte uses the GTIOS tests:

GTIOS psychometric test | WikiJob

The practice questions are a bit easier than the real thing, but it’s otherwise OK.

I don’t think there’s a written test when you get to Deloitte, but you do have to do an E-tray exercise.