Deloitte Audit Graduate Scheme 2017

STEP

I’ve recently been looking into the Deloitte Audit Grad Scheme and thought I’d share what I’ve found out so far. Please use this thread to add more if you find out anything else!

Fortunately, Deloitte list out the process quite explicitly on their website. Unfortunately, it’s quite long. Seven steps to be exact:

1. Online application
    Just a simple online application here. Fill in your education, employment history and only a couple of slightly longer answers about your career motivations and stuff like that. They use a name-blind system that gives you a candidate ID, so don’t lose that. They say you’ll hear within three working days if you’re through to the next stage, which is…

2. Game-based assessment
    This step is a psychometric test in the form of a game. I played a bit of the teaser version on their website (https://www2.deloitte.com/uk/en/pages/careers/articles/assessment-teaser-cosmic-cadet.html) and, as far as I can see, it’s basically just a slow – and therefore easier – version of Flappy Bird.

3. Online tests
    Nope, they weren’t forgotten. After your game-based assessment, you’ll have to complete the standard SHL-style psychometric tests with situational, numerical, and verbal sections. Plenty of companies will give you very similar tests, so if you’re not already sick of them then you can find loads of practice materials online.

4. Service line questionnaire
    You may or may not get an interview before doing this – all this seems to be for is to indicate which area of the business you want to work in (e.g. auditing), and stuff like which professional qualification you want to go for.

5. First round interview
    Where the real fun begins. Do well enough in the tests and you’ll be invited for the first round interview. They will try to make sure they host this in the office you’ve applied to work in, and will be given by someone from the service line you selected so you can get to know them.

Consultancy candidates do a group exercise beforehand, but it doesn’t look like audit candidates do.

You’ll be given 45 minutes to study a case study similar to what you’d be doing at Deloitte, and then answer questions on it. Practice is the best way to prepare for this – take some scenarios and consider them from all the angles important to an auditor.

Finally, there’s the interview itself. Naturally, what this is like will vary depending on who’s interviewing you, but most people seem to say Deloitte don’t go overboard on this stage. Things are kept relatively casual, and you’re likely to be mostly asked to expand on things in your application and CV – they mostly want to get to know you. Here are a few question examples I’ve found:
• How would you handle a client who asks you to do something unethical?
• Describe a time you thought outside of the box.
• When have you had to deal with a challenging deadline and how did you handle it?
• How do you work with team members who don’t pull their weight?
• Why do you want to go into auditing?
• How would you define a successful graduate auditor?
• What’s one decision you’ve taken that changed a plan completely?

1. Final interview
    Sometimes this is held on the same day as your first round interview, sometimes not. Though, you should know in advance. This will begin with an office tour. You should have been briefed on a topic beforehand, on which you will have to give a five minute presentation on, followed by a ten minute Q&A.

Lastly, you’ll have the final interview. This is likely to be similar but a bit tougher than the first round interview, depending again on who the interviewer is. Most people note that they asked no technical questions, as they don’t expect their graduates to know everything about auditing right away, but it’d always be worth doing your prep work beforehand anyway. Getting caught out by something like that could be a quick way to not getting the job.

1. And finally, within a week or two you should receive either an offer letter or a rejection with feedback. Good luck, and feel free to add your experiences here!