Deloitte Audit Graduate 2014 Offer Fast-track day (interview tips)

Vodafone
star

I received an offer from Deloitte for Audit (2014 start) last week through a fast-track day and I used wikijobs a great deal on my journey to securing the offer, so I thought it would only be right to give back!

I would like to start off by saying I was rejected from all of the big 4 last year at different stages but they were all experiences I learnt from and improved each time I went through an application process. This year I haven’t been rejected from one and I have found the whole experience a lot more relaxing and easier, so the morale of the story is never stop believing, stay dedicated and eventually you will achieve your goal.

Right let me tell you about the fast track day. The day basically consists of a first round interview with a manager, if you pass that you have your partner interview after lunch where you have to give a 5 min presentation on a topic they give you.

First round interview:

This interview was very structured and competency based and all the questions are on this forums with no surprises. I had the same interview with Deloitte last year and my questions were exactly the same, except a couple slight variations in terms of the career motivation. So its safe to say everyone gets roughly the same questions.

Questions I was asked:

Communication: (1) Time you had to give a presentation. (2) Time you’ve worked in a team.
Planning and organisation: Time you had to plan and organise something (2 examples)
Achievement of goals: Time you have achieved a goal (2 examples)
Problem solving: Time you made a decision (2 examples)
Commercial awareness: Issues affecting professional service firms atm?
Career motivation: Why audit? Why deloitte? What you know about the role in audit? What you know about the aca?

Then we had a lil chat at the end and I got to ask a few questions, a pretty standard competency interview all in all. This interview is very much about ticking boxes and making sure you can demonstrate each competency. If you prepare answer to all this questions using the STAR approach, you should be fine. If the interview doesn’t think you have ticked all the boxes on a given competency, he will probe you and ask follow up questions to help you demonstrate everything they want to. These follow up questions are nothing to worry about. examples of follow ups: what did you learn? how did you contribute to maintaining teamwork? Would you change anything? What was the hardest part?
And btw I haven’t done an internship or any work experience directly linked to the job but as long as you can demonstrate the competencies your be fine.

The one tip I would give you is make sure you research the role and Deloitte, this will help you sound enthusiastic. In terms of why deloitte, don’t just make it generic to all the big 4, make it unique to Deloitte. Talk about deloitte and the olympics, how they were the first to provide more informative reports (vodafone), how there training and development is the best etc. I’m sure theres lots more to talk about. By giving specifics, it will help you stand out and show that you’ve done your research. Knowing your career motivation inside out will help you in your partner interview aswell.

Partner Interview:

My topic for the presentation:
‘With the ever-increasing demand for companies to report more information and to provide it faster, how do you think the audit profession might have to adapt going forward?’

I broke it down into 4 parts:
Why is there a demand for companies to report more?
What regulations is the audit profession talking about?
What are the implications for auditors?
How might the audit profession adapt going forward?

Mine was about 6 and half minutes, so I don’t think it matters if you go a bit over. I memorised my presentation word for word. This helped because I was able to maintain eye contact the whole time and didn’t stutter or get stuck on any parts. The partner asked a couple follow up questions based on what you said in your presentation but nothing too tricky.

Except from the presentation the rest of the interview was very chatty, asking each other questions. Some of the questions I remember: what led you to be sitting here today? (career motivation again) what have you been doing since uni? (talked about my travelling and my current job?). The interview went really well and I felt fairly relaxed throughout and was offered the job on the spot at the end of the interview by the partner! I was very happy to say the least!

My one tip for this interview would be to try and build a rapport and make it into a two-way conversation. Sound interested in what they do and don’t be afraid to ask questions throughout the interview, don’t wait until the end. In my case before I even started the presentation I had about a 15 min conversation about her and the work she had been doing recently and I made sure I asked her questions to prolong the chat. I think this helped get the interview off on the right foot and helped me relax before my presentation.

And thats all it took, nothing too spectacular! I applied beg of oct and had the offer beg of dec.

I’m not sure if I covered everything but if you have any questions on specifics, feel free to ask and I’ll try and get back to you.

how long did it take to hear back after the partner interview?

The partner offered me the job at the end of the interview, but ive heard this is very rare.

I had the same experience on my fast track day but luckily for me, my partner had an urgent meeting hence my partner interview was rescheduled for the following week (which gave me more time to polish my presentation). The first interview is exactly as shugmunga mentioned above…my manager grilled me with a few follow up questions trying to go into minute details but its nothing to worry about…

my partner interview went really well…she was from the states…and started talking about her experience of moving to london…presentation bit wasnt too long…about 15mins and the rest was jst chit chat about stuff here and there…i think wat they really check is are u an approachable person who can converse with different people…

I have done biomedical science so a switch to accounting was huge…i really had to go crazy with my prep for the interviews…i am also working gaining experience at a local firm so getting home arnd 6pm, i would work anthr 2-3 hrs daily doing applications…deloitte was my last of the big 4 and with the grace of God, i got it. Dont lose hope. If you sincerely put in the effort, you can do it. If i can do it coming fro pakistan moving here 3 yrs ago, you guys can too.

Hi, Firstly Congratulations on your offer, you must be really happy.
I am currently applying to Audit at Deloitte and wondered how you structured your ‘Career Motivations’ questions, I always find these really dfficult to get right : (
The questions are 1.Through your research and in your own words please explain five key reasons why you are interested in joining Deloitte
2.Showing an understanding of the day to day role please tell us what you expect to be doing in your first year in your chosen service line.
thankyouuuu

thanks…the structure is to keep it simple…u looked online…asked people around…went to uni accounting fair … everyone speaks highly of the firm and its great work ethic…its culture…diversity…the support structure available etc…

wat ul b doing on day to day basisi includes working as part of diff teams…going to client sites…it depends on which phase of the audit ur team is involved in…planning…testing for controls…completion…so do gud research on this…this is something that really impresses them if you know well…:slight_smile: gud luck

Hi guys got a fast track day coming up for audit soon.
Just had a few questions.

1. I have the first round interview with a case study. What does the case study consist of.

2. Also my presentation question is: ‘Our achievements at Deloitte are underpinned by an absolute commitment to quality. The pursuit of quality should be the number one priority of the firm’s Audit and Advisory services. Discuss.’ Any chance i can get a few tips on how to tackle this?

Thank you so much in advance and congrats to any of have got the offers.

Hi guys got a fast track day coming up for audit soon.
Just had a few questions.

1. I have the first round interview with a case study. What does the case study consist of.

2. Also my presentation question is: ‘Our achievements at Deloitte are underpinned by an absolute commitment to quality. The pursuit of quality should be the number one priority of the firm’s Audit and Advisory services. Discuss.’ Any chance i can get a few tips on how to tackle this?

Thank you so much in advance and congrats to any of have got the offers.

Hi @skyline540 I have been assigned that same presentation question and was just wondering whether you were successful and whether you had any tips?

Hi @skyline540 I have been assigned that same presentation question and was just wondering whether you were successful and whether you had any tips?

Hi guys!
Just got my topic and was wondering if anyone can give me some tips?

Topic: Our achievements at Deloitte are underpinned by an absolute commitment to quality. The pursuit of quality should be the number one priority of the firm’s Audit and Advisory services. Discuss

Thank you so much in advance

Hi Nataly Hoyos
I have been assigned this presentation topic also and I was wondering if you could give me some pointers on what to cover?
Thanks in advance!

Hi Skater, i was wondering if you’ve had your fast track day, how was it? also i have the same presentation, could you give any information?

Hi saydb,
I haven’t had a fast track day I had my first interview and I’m waiting to have my partner one

Hi there, I’ve been assigned the same presentation topic too, was wondering if you had an tips? Hope your partner interview went well!

Hi, i’ve just got this exact same topic to discuss upon, and I was wondering if I can get some advice how you approached this question?