Deloitte 2013 start

Deloitte

Hi,

Just thought i would start a thread for 2013.

I have just today had my first interview with a line manager. Standard competency questions however the interview did end up lasting 1hr 15mins. He asked for 2 examples on each competency. This wasn’t because my first examples were bad, it was just because he said that when it comes to writing up final notes to go with your application, it looks better if you have given a wide range of examples. The interviewer was quite young and suprisingly seemed a bit nervous himself. I supposedly hear back within 3 working days but dreading it because the weekend falls in between.

The only advice i would give is not to talk to long on your first example as sometimes you are left with very little to say when probed to give a second example.

If anybody has any questions or wishes to write about their experience, feel free to comment.

Thanks

Hey jab7899,

Congrats on reaching this far. I had my E-tray day on 26th, was just wondering how long they normally take to reply back? and can u give any examples of questions they asked?Which office and service line did u apply in?

Hi ISMY,

For me they took 5 working days to get back to me.

Literally the questions were just the competencies put into a question. e.g for the planning and organisation competency the question was… name a time you planned and organised a task effectively.

They touched on every competency apart from adaptability. I got asked where else i applied and how would you decide on which one to choose.

I have applied for the audit service line.

I have heard that if you get through the etray you have definitely got over the worst.

Thanks

Hey. Im applying for summer interships so the process will be different but still similar.

How did you find the etray? Any other tips? Thanks!

Im not going to lie, I dont get some of their competencies. I understand them but dont get how they would translate into questions. Do you remember how many Q’ they gave you?

Hi everyone, about to have my e-tray on 2 Aug. Could someone give a details like what were the emails like, did you have enough time or it was very time-pressured? Did you find the situations hard or rather straight forward?

Good luck to everyone.

Brachioz.

I got asked around 10 questions however we spent 1h 20mins in the interview as for each of the 10 questions there was around 4 follow up questions. e.g. were you successful? what would you change next time?

As for the etray. Few pieces of advice…

1. 21 emails to respond to. All multi choice and all info given on the day. I.e. no material to cover before the etray. Don’t rush as after the 21 emails you receive about 9 emails with people just saying ‘thank you for your recent reply’. Therefore you receive around 30 emails but only 21 require answering. At the end i had about 15 mins left as i finished early.

2. The written exercise requires commenting on 3 possible acquisitions. Keep 5 mins at the end to check your work for spelling errors. The choice on which acquisition to take is subjective.

3. I wrote my response in the following format…

'Dear XXXXXX

Thank you for your recent email.

I will compare all three acquisitions: Zambezi online (ZO) Tarrini (TR) and xxxx (xx) and then conclude on which i believe is the best.’

Note ZO is just zambezi summarised. It is important you use ZO instead of ‘Zambezi online’ as it saves a lot more time and you are allowed to do it.

Then i wrote 4-5 lines on each possible acquisition and then a conclusion which was around 10 lines.

At the end finish the email by saying something along the lines…

'I hope this information is of help. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any other queries

Kind regards
YOUR NAME’

The written exercise should be rough between 1/2 to 3/4’s of an A4 page.

Also my friend just received the following email.

Dear Candidate
It has been brought to my attention that you recently have been invited to self-schedule your E Tray exercise. I understand that you might have experienced difficulties with the booking as there are not many slots currently open, especially for the London office.
On the week commencing 6th August we will change the way this assessment is conducted and all E Trays will be done online similarly to the numerical test you have already completed. This change is introduced for the convenience of our candidates.
Once this is fully up and running, we will contact you with further details.
Thank you for your patience.

Hey Jab7899

Passed my E-tray day. How about you? iam really dreading the interview stage now, any tips? were u asked to give 2 examples of each competency or just one? Was the interview tense?

Well done Ismy…

I found out 30 mins ago that i passed the first interview. To be honest the interviewer was really chilled. The questions were just the competencies rephased as a question. The lady at HR said that they only ask one example for each comp however, at the start of my int, my interviewer said he was definetly going to ask to q’s for each. Overall the interview was very relaxed. BTW they do not ask questions on adaptability in the first interview. The only commercial awareness question was ‘what is recently happening in the audit ind?’

and what exactly is happening in audit industry??..lol…btw i applied for audit aswell

Hi Jab

I have also applied to the audit program for 2013. Just recently passed my e-tray exercise. If anyone wants any question answered for the e-tray, then please ask me. I will try and give a detailed answer.

I have a question for you jab. What type of questions did the interviewer ask. As in can you please give me example questions?

Kind Regards

Also just to help those with an e-tray coming up, make sure you are consistent with your answers. Sometimes with the multiple choice questions, i found that they tried to give you contradicting answers, so just make sure you are consistent.

Did anyone had Etray on 2 august in Birmingham ?

Just been offered a training contract yeaterday commencing sept 2013. Partner told me at the end of the interview that i’ve got the job. Can’t believe it.

If anybody wants help, please post here or PM me.

Congrats mate!

Could u post a guide to the whole process if possible. Like the stages and what went on and how much time it took for the whole thing to go through. That would help enormously.

Again congratulation on ur achievement mate.

Basically I applied on the 2nd of July and passed my etray day soon after. I then went on my first interview on the Friday 27th July and was told I was successful on the 31st. HR then scheduled my final interview mid August, but found an available slot yesterday. I turned up, did ok on the presentation and was told at the end of the interview I had passed (normally everybody says it takes 1hr or 2hrs for the partner to contact them however, i was told immediately after the interview). Therefore the whole process took about 36 days.

hey Jab7899

Congratulations on ur achievement, what topic did they give u for the presentation? its been ages since i passed my e-tray(more then 1week) but i havent received any call for the interview yet…:S…How long they normally take to reply back? and which office location did u choose?

Thanks

Hi ISMY,

Don’t wait for them to contact you. Ring them up and get a date sorted yourself. If you rely on them the whole process will probably double in length to around 2 months. I think presentation topics are rotated monthly with this months topic being the one i got which was the meaning of the term ‘independent’ in an audit context

Could someone tell me how does the fast track day works?

How would I prepare for a presentation when I have my first stage interview the same morning before that?

Any guesses?

Congrats Jab7899,
Just out of interest are you heading into your final year, or already a graduate?

Is anyone else still waiting to hear about the online e-tray assessment?
I received the email someone posted above (copied below) two weeks ago and still haven’t heard anything? Was hoping to try and get at least a bit of the process out of the way before heading back to Uni.

Dear Candidate It has been brought to my attention that you recently have been invited to self-schedule your E Tray exercise. I understand that you might have experienced difficulties with the booking as there are not many slots currently open, especially for the London office. On the week commencing 6th August we will change the way this assessment is conducted and all E Trays will be done online similarly to the numerical test you have already completed. This change is introduced for the convenience of our candidates. Once this is fully up and running, we will contact you with further details. Thank you for your patience.