Bloomberg Financial Software Development Interview

Bloomberg

Hi all,

I have an R&D interview (I’ve done an online test in Java) coming up soon for an entry level position in Financial Software Development; does anybody know what to expect at this interview? I saw a video on the R&D part of their website that said to expect a technical interview, but I can’t really recap 3 years of course content from uni, so anything more specific you guys might be able to throw my way would be worth its weight in gold.

Thanks for any help.

Hi,
Congrats for clearing online test. I am also applying for the same position but dont know where to start. I am good at C programming, MATLAB Programming and little bit Java, Visual basic… But , i did not use my software skills for the past one year and forget almost. Could you please let me knoe how your online test went down. I will be grateful if you can provide me some guidance on technical test. Is it advanced / core Java… Please give me some advice on preparing for online test…
Thank you,
Regards,
Ra

Hi, Congrats for clearing online test. I am also applying for the same position but dont know where to start. I am good at C programming, MATLAB Programming and little bit Java, Visual basic… But , i did not use my software skills for the past one year and forget almost. Could you please let me knoe how your online test went down. I will be grateful if you can provide me some guidance on technical test. Is it advanced / core Java… Please give me some advice on preparing for online test… Thank you, Regards, Ra

The questions on mine were all Java related and were all multiple choice. You have three minutes for each question and they say you can use reference materials. Yours might not be in Java if you’ve told them you have more experience in C; I’ve heard of others doing their tests in C (might not have been for the same position). There’s not really much you can do to prepare for the test because it’d take too long, you just have to have a reasonable knowledge of Java.

Good luck, hope it goes well for you. Let me know how you find it.

For the record, I had my face-to-face interview. It was hard and I didn’t get the job. It started with two guys that had joined the company a few years back at the level of the position I was applying for. They started with the simple “what do you know about us?” questions: “why do you want to work for us?”, etc… They then asked me about my 3rd year project. After that we moved on to some code questions (in C - about pointers, scope, etc.), before moving on to a logic puzzle. Finally, they answered some of my questions.

They then brought in another guy who’d been there longer than the other two, and he and I continued with the interview alone (maybe this is to sift out people that really don’t know what they’re talking about, or maybe the other two had other places to be). We did some more code questions - I had to come up with an algorithm for finding unique elements in an array and figure out its time complexity. We then did another logic puzzle before moving on to questions I had for him.

All in all it lasted about 2 hours.

Hello walt,

I HAVE BEEN INVITED FOR AN r&D INTERVIEW COULD YOU HELP ME WITH SOME DETAILED QUESTIONS FOR C, AND EXAMPLES OF THE LOGICAL PUZZLES

i HAVE DONE POINTERS, ARRAYS ETC…HAVE YOU GOT ANYMORE SUGGESTIONS…

Helly harry,
I got an email to take online assessment test in 3 days. Most probably, the test will be on C programming. Could you please let me know how to prepare for the test and any suggestions. I used C long back and need to revise everything now. Could you please help me by providing details of the test.
Thank you in Advance

BEST THING IS HAVE GOOGLE AT YOUR SIDE IN ANOTHER LAPTOP WITH YOUR FRIEND, AS THEY SAY YOU CAN TAKE HELP FROM A BOOK FOR REFRENCE. MANILY IT WILL BE IN POINTERS
AND SOME GENEREAL CODES ASKING U FOR POSSIBLE OUTPUT

Please don’t use CAPS LOCK - it doesn’t make me want to help you more.

Sorry Walt,

my Keyboard is Actually quiet broken, hence why

I just want to know some idea about questions to be asked .

thank you in advance.

Check out [http://www.techinterview.org/ this] site, it has the sort of logic questions they ask. I got asked [http://www.techinterview.org/puzzles/RailroadBridge.html this one] and [http://www.totalformat.com/forum/chilled-out-chitchat/10447-riddle.html#post177364 this one] (the prisoner one).

Aside from that I had to write a function that calculated the nth number in the Fibonacci sequence and come up with an algorithm to find the first unique element in an array of numbers (which were stored as bytes), and then I had to write code for that.

They also gave me code samples in C concerning pointers, memory allocation, and scope. E.g., there was a function that did something, what happened to the local variable it used when the function returns, what is the output, etc… Be prepared for a taxing interview. Mine lasted nearly two hours.

Hope this helps.

Dear walt and harry,
Thank you for your suggestions. I ve cleared test in C and scheduled for an interview. They told me that i may get questions from C ,Java, Unix,Data structures,Run time analysis, OO and C++. I am OK with pointers in C… But program architecture is a bit nervous to me. Could u please suggest me few material to get an overview. Unix, it is a bit tricky to me now as i used it long back (4 years ago) but very little. So i need to prepare well it seems.Could you please tell me what type of questions they may ask … i would like to know whether they will go more advanced or at average level. Datastructures is ok with me but used them long back. I am planning to prepare linked lists,stacks, and Ques… is it enough? Run time analysis… Did u get any questions from run time analysis … if u can give me few sample questions, i can analyse my level of skills and them prepare accordingly.
Please help me by suggesting few tips to prepare for interview. Your interview experience will be more helpful…
Thank you,
Regards
Nani

If you’ve done any courses on algorithms and data structures it might be worth reading over your notes for those. Other than what I’ve already said I don’t know what to add. In any case, good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Walt.

Hi walt,
Thank you for your suggestion. I will be grateful if you can tell me where you went wrong in the interview (which type of questions you feel very hard). It will be more helpful for me. I am sorry for bothering you…
Many thanks for your help,
Regards,
Nani

I took a while to get the logic puzzles, so maybe that was it. I think I would have done better at these had I been quite relaxed and had practised some other logic puzzles (look at the site I linked before). Make sure you lead the discussion of your answers, even if you don’t know what you’re doing from the start. I felt they had to prompt me quite a lot, but this was often because I was being quiet when I was thinking about an answer.

Basically, I think the reason I didn’t do too well was because I didn’t know what to expect from the interview. I asked about the interview when I got the invitation but that part of my email was ignored. Also, when asking for feedback, they didn’t give me anything constructive, just that it was an all-round technical assessment and that I didn’t meet the requirements. Bearing that in mind I can’t say exactly what they didn’t like.

You’ll be in a better position than I was because you’ll have an idea of what to expect. I didn’t know the sorts of questions I was going to be asked, which made me nervous and it must have shown. Just stay relaxed and I’m sure you’ll be able to think more clearly and you’ll come across better than I did.

How much did it take them to give you feedback? I had an online assessment and a phone interview last week and have asked them for some feedback, but I haven’t had any answer after 10 days. I wonder if I should consider that as a negative answer or I still have a chance…

hi all,

I have an in-house interview at bloomberg london for financial software developer position. If anyone of you recently had in-house interview with bloomberg for same position pls let me the wht to expect over there. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx

Hi spoiled,
I too have in house interview in the coming week. what is ur specialization language. did u get any email from hr.did they say any thing about possible topics they may concentrate on?..when is ur interview…
all the best…
cheers,
nani

hi nani,
my interview is on 10th. C and C++. yeah they sent me a mail regarding possible topics. when is urs and ur specializion. If u get anything helpful pls let me know.
Thanx

Hi,
I told them that i have fluency in c and knowledge of java. I have basic knowledge of java. just basic understanding. But i am OK with c programming. I am a bit confused how depth they go into c or other language. How are you preparing. They told me that they may ask questions from c , c++ (oo , classes and objects), java(oo,classes and objects, JVM), Unix and data structures… I used Unix 5 years ago and forgot all… I am a bit worried … i dont know what questions they may ask. How depth you are preparing in C or C++. Did u take test in C? If you know any interview questions( From your previous interviews) in C, please let me know… so that we can try to solve them together.
Thanks in advance,
Nani