First time poster- am interested in hearing your honest opinions on this.
Trying to sort out whether it is better to do Big4 M&A or go to a middle market (European) bank. Both jobs in London.
- Tends to have quite high deal flow (tends to be top 20) although obviously are small to mid cap deals
- ‘Nicer’ work environment? (although = slow pace?)
- ACA (although will this actually be valued if moving to bank afterwards?)
- Lower pay
- Smaller deals
- Prestige factor
- Still a bank
- Higher pay
- Not as prestigious as BBs of course and would still be small/mid cap deals
- Work environment not as high caliber as BB but also not ‘nice’ like big4
I guess what I’m mostly asking is, given that both give you experience in small/mid cap deals, which would be better perceived for exit opportunities? How ‘bad’ does a bank have to be such that the big4 is a better option for someone who wants to do M&A? Given the increasingly more fragmented landscape for M&A advisors could big4 rise in perception?
Curious about everyone’s thoughts, thanks in advance.