BDO assessment centre

BDO

Hey guys I have assessment centre next week at the gatwick office for audit. Any particular advice that you could give me?More info on the group work or the presentation? and what exactly do they want you to do on this cards logic exercise?I’m bit nervous hope my partner will be relaxed as was the one in my previous interview.

hey marblemoon,
As you know the day consists of a group exercise, card game, presentation to senior manager and partner interview.

The card game carries by far the least weight so don’t worry too much about it, just make sure you organise yourself. I like to think of it as a logical reasoning test except instead of shapes your dealing with information. your gonna have a set of cards each with some info missing, and looking at the others you need to deduce what the info is and fill in the blanks. There are some other posts on wikijobs with specific examples, but if u need more info on this then pls ask me.

As for the group exercise its pretty standard, given a case study and discuss. As long as you try and organise the group, encourage others by supporting their ideas, having good ideas yourself, stick to the brief (and make sure the group does), don’t speak over anyone etc you shud be fine!! I’ve been in so many group exercises where people try to dominate and not let others talk (they obv fail in the end), in that instance I would sit back and take it what their saying and step in when their done!

As for the presentation, you need to write info on a flip chart which you will use with your presentation, and you also need to write notes for your presentation. Your given about an hour for this. Do not make the flip chart too detailed as its a waste of time, just cover the main points. Make sure its structured. Ie one page for background info, what we discussed, pros and cons, my opinion, etc etc
Just make sure you express yourself, communicate effectively, look back at the flip chart from time to time with hand gestures!! Your assessed on what you say and how you say it!

As for the partner interview, this is where I could have improved. Every partner varies. But I was told he felt like I was saying what he wanted to hear… so I guess I should have been more conversational or something :S He also didnt like the fact that I didnt do my top button up, so presentation is very important as well. Like I said, every partner varies. But as long as you know your reasons for joining the firm and they are genuine, then you should be fine as long as you go into the interview in a positive and talkative mood!

Good luck, hope I wasnt too late!

hey thank you so much for the info:) can you just say something more about this logical exercise,as I read through the forums, but couldnt find anything more detailed, I not stressing too much about it, but I just want to feel more prepared.
I can’t believe they made a point about your button! so do you think one page on the flip chart will be enough for the presentation?
thanks so much again for the info

Hey marblemoon,

There’s not much to the card exercise. You have 5 sets of cards. Each set ranges from around 10-25 different cards. You need to read all of the info on each set of cards, every card has a bit of info missing and you need to find out what it is by finding a pattern. I cant remember any specific examples but its all about logical thinking. Each set of cards will tell you some information, for instance one card could tell you that if a product costs £2 or less than you get a 10% discount. But another card can tell you if it costs over £2 then you get 20% off, and another one could tell you if it costs £2 or under and its blue then you get no discount. You just need to make sure you look at every card! I just made that up cos I really cant remember the specific examples, but its nothing to worry about. Best advice I can give, is relax and don’t rush it. Look at each card carefully and you should see a pattern. I suggest practicing a few logical reasoning tests because it puts u in the right frame of mind! Don’t worry too much, I’ve heard a lot of people fail this exercise and still get the job!

As for the presentation, one page on the flip chart is not enough lol. Your over thinking it, you will know what to do when ur there, jus make sure the flip chart is easy to read, nicely organised and contains the most important points!

All the best!

Hi,

Is the BDO in tray exercise on a computer, or written?- what does it consist of?!

Thanks
Z

Hey there,

The in tray exercise is a written one, and NOT on a computer. The idea behind it is that you are working for the company and have been away for some time and then when you are back you are faced with a situation regarding a client whose parent has died.

So your task is to skim through all of these documents which consist of email messages, tax reclaim forms etc and prioritise them… You also have to provide reccomended actions on each of these documents…

I wouldnt say that it is the easiest task in the world, but at the end of they day it is still only 1/4 of the assessment day, so if you perform well on the other three tasks then you would be ok…Sorry if this is too vague, its been too long since i had the AC!

Good Luck

just got a call that I passed the assessment centre at BDO. so happy!

Congrats, Aben!

Can you please share your experience with the assesment centre?

Hi Grad4672, so basically, I had my assessment centre on Friday and as I said was notified yesterday. The day starts with an ice breaker where you introduce the peson sitting beside you and vice versa. After that we were split into two where my group did the intray exercise. It was ok you just have to grasp the concept well. you are a trainee in a firm who overheard a senior colleague talk about an overload of work. You then ask if you could help. And it starts from there. There are so many documents to read and recommend actions to, rating them in order of priority. You then write a formal letter to the client to let them know how far you are on the project and ask them if there are any document u might need - I think.

After our group had the group exercise. it is mainly about a hospital which has cut its budget and you have been asked to go through a list of 10 solutions that you think they should take to help them raise a certain amount of money. there are assessors in the room watching and you then discuss. after you talk about how BDO as a company can

help them achieve this.

continue…
then there is a break and the presentation. the topic will be givven to you before hand so you just prepare. Dont go for anything complicated. Just take a simple topic and make sure you knw BDO’s products very well and how to relate each service to the problem. The whole assessment lasted about 4 hours. Just relax and be yourself. There was suppose to be a partner interview but the partners were away so I ll have it this week. Hope this helps.

…with the group exercise you have to come up with four solutions you think are the best as a group and discuss them. Always wait for pple to finish talking and dont cut in. In case you do, apologise and let them finish. sorry about the spelling mistakes.

Hi aben, good work on progressing through the AC. What service line are you in for?

Quick question. Got my AC in two weeks and obviously have the presentation to prepare. It advises up to 20mins…did you take that long or close to it? Or is that the total time for presentation and the partner will bulk it out with questions if you’re a bit short?

Any advice would be great. Cheers

people who have been through the AC, how long were your presentations? 20 mins seems a bit longwinded!
Also, what sort of handouts did you bring?

hey I have my first interview with BDO coming up next week. What kind of questions were you asked during that stage? Any other advice will be greatly appreciated!

Which office have you applied for?
I’ve just finished the process so can give you a bit of advice.

For 1st interview, it really is just an informal chat. Of course there will be a few competence questions around teamwork, client service, BDO’s values, but its very much an interview to see if you’ll fit in.

All the best.

For 1st interview, it really is just an informal chat. Of course there will be a few competence questions around teamwork, client service, BDO’s values, but its very much an interview to see if you’ll fit in.

All the best.

All the best.

All the best.

Timmyl, how long did you spend on your presentation? I too think 20 mins is a bit long winded and what type of handouts did you take?

Hey, i think my presentation lasted about 15 minutes.
My handout was just a powerpoint presentation I prepared beforehand but I don’t think it was necessary.