BBC application/interview

Total

I must be very impatient…

still nothing…

I am willing my email to produce…but to no avail!

RT6885, where is your tv prod course? I have been looking into journalism post grads , but it is certainly the production route that interest me the most.

oh when will we hear!!!

I know, I hate this waiting game! I can’t concentrate on my work, hitting the email bookmark every time I navigate to another page…aagghh!

The TV Production Course is at University College Falmouth and is a broad course that covers every aspect of modern television production such as media law, production office skills, research, development, commissioning, directing, lighting, camera skills, studio & gallery work, sound, editing and after effects. Basically you learn all these skills to a basic level in the first term, then you naturally focus your work on any number of these disciplines; basically, if you’re proactive then it’s a great course because you have access to highly experienced tutors and technicians who have worked in the industry, but if you don’t make the effort then you lose out and the masters will not be value for money.

Falmouth also offer courses in Multimedia Broadcast Journalism and International Journalism. They concentrate more specifically on the technical and presentational skills needed by modern freelance journalists, but the courses seem more structured than TV Production and if you really want to be a presenter or correspondent then it’s much better than the TVP course. If you want more info, go to famouth.ac.uk or find me on facebook (Rufus Tanner) and I can tell you more.

Generally speaking I’ve found that a media related masters does not put you at a massive advantage when applying for schemes such as the BBC PTS or Channel 4 PTS (basically the golden entry jobs) but does help you in approaching production companies with confidence, and obviously having a showreel of work you will have produced over the course of the masters is a very good way of starting conversations with industry professionals.

Hope you hear soon! R

I know, I hate this waiting game! I can’t concentrate on my work, hitting the email bookmark every time I navigate to another page…aagghh!

The TV Production Course is at University College Falmouth and is a broad course that covers every aspect of modern television production such as media law, production office skills, research, development, commissioning, directing, lighting, camera skills, studio & gallery work, sound, editing and after effects. Basically you learn all these skills to a basic level in the first term, then you naturally focus your work on any number of these disciplines; basically, if you’re proactive then it’s a great course because you have access to highly experienced tutors and technicians who have worked in the industry, but if you don’t make the effort then you lose out and the masters will not be value for money.

Falmouth also offer courses in Multimedia Broadcast Journalism and International Journalism. They concentrate more specifically on the technical and presentational skills needed by modern freelance journalists, but the courses seem more structured than TV Production and if you really want to be a presenter or correspondent then it’s much better than the TVP course. If you want more info, go to famouth.ac.uk or find me on facebook (Rufus Tanner) and I can tell you more.

Generally speaking I’ve found that a media related masters does not put you at a massive advantage when applying for schemes such as the BBC PTS or Channel 4 PTS (basically the golden entry jobs) but does help you in approaching production companies with confidence, and obviously having a showreel of work you will have produced over the course of the masters is a very good way of starting conversations with industry professionals.

Hope you hear soon! R

@jojojoloppy:

Any news from the BBC today? I’ve still heard nothing.

nope nothing,
am getting a bit manic now… arghhh

think i had built myself up to thinking i would find out either way today…

im going to brave it out over the weekend, and if still nothing i am phoning on monday to demand an explantion ---- more like politley enquire as to the status of my application… haha

i reckon they will have been inundated with applications and its taking longer than anticipated to sort them out…

i am taking the motto no news is good news on board!

i have started daydreaming about being on the scheme…this is a bad sign!!!

Haha you wouldn’t be the only one daydreaming of such things!

I just bit the bullet and called up to find out what’s going on.

Apparently the applications are still being reviewed at this stage, and the HR team said they couldn’t give an estimate as to when we may find out because the scheme was even more heavily subscribed this year. I also suggested they update their Production Twitter account saying we probably wouldn’t hear by the end of the day, as it currently states that we should hear by May 14th.

I’m starting to embrace the ‘no news is good news’ motto, but if it is indeed a rejection I receive , then I wish I could have got it along with everyone else last week! This waiting game is painful! I suspect they contacted people for flat rejections and are possibly now going through a ‘maybes’ pile…but again, this is just my brain going into overdrive and coming up with possible explanations!

This is going to be a very nervous weekend. R

No news for me so far - what’s going on?? Have any of you guys heard?

They didn’t say we would hear before the 14th, they said that they would be deciding between the application date and May 14th and that we would hear in late May. Chill your beans.
Lol… but I do get that it is frustrating.

They didn’t say we would hear before the 14th, they said that they would be deciding between the application date and May 14th and that we would hear in late May. Chill your beans.
Lol… but I do get that it is frustrating.

“I wouldn’t read much into the fact people have started getting rejections and that you haven’t yet - it’s probably because you applied near the end of the application window. HR are probably going through the apps from the top. It is ludicrously competitive. A friend managed to get onto the journalism trainee scheme - I think they take on about 20 people for that too, and they assessed 60. So if the PTS is similar there’s a very good chance should you get to that stage!”

You’re probably right not to get hopes too high, but my sister got rejected on 5 May even though she applied at about 1 minute to midnight on the deadline day.

Thanks @PitcherPerfect, I couldn’t remember what they’d said and it didn’t say much on the email. But it seems a bit strange that they’d decided by May 14th but are waiting until the end of the month to tell us…

Out of curiosity, what did people give as their programme pitches?

Balls, mine too.

Got an email from the BBC this morning, so they’re starting to get back those of us who remain in the mix. Anyone else?

RT6885 what did your email say?

I have been shortlisted - have to go to an assessment centre in Glasgow! Bit out of the way! Kidding, I think I would go anywhere for a place on this scheme.

Me too heard back this morning,
Assessment in Manchester…on to round two!!

Congrats!

Yeah got an assessment day in London in June…very happy! Best of luck to everyone waiting to hear!

Ohhh, people have heard! Nice one those who got through!

Still waiting, not optimistic though… I figure the process goes a little something like this:

1. Early rejections.
  2. Offers.
  3. Late rejections of those who aren’t quite as awesome as those they invited. Maybe a few of these ‘seconds’ make it through if people don’t want to come to the assessment day. But lets get serious - who wouldn’t come to the assessment day!?

Anyone else in this boat?

JMN

Have faith jimmy!

I don’t quite understand why my assessment day will be in Glasgow - I live in London!

Also, does anyone know how many people get shortlisted?