Barclays capital : telephone interview

Barclays

I’ve got one coming up next week, not really sure what kind of questions to expect. Has anybody had one if so could you give me any tips . Thanks

Have you seen the article - [[telephone interview]] and the article [[competency based interview]]? These will help!

Hi Priya - How did it go, what questions did they ask?
Paul

Interview lasted for about 30 mins. I was asked
!. Why Barcap
2. Why this role
3. Why are you suited to this role
4. How are current market conditions likely to affect the department you have applied to.
5. Describe a situation where you had to deal with a sensitive matter
6. Tell me about a time you worked in a team
7. Tell me about a time you worked in a team and there were problems that you needed to overcome
8, 9. Tell me about when you had to help someone/ they had to help you
10. Scenario question, ie project will be three hours late, what should you do about this.

The lady interviewing me was lovely, be sure to ask them to repeat a question if you don’t understand it and ask for a minute to think if you need it.

thank you so much priya. very generous of you to post these. how did it go in the end?

i got one as well this tomorrow.
still wondering wt they are going to ask me

How is your interview? Could u please write the questions you were asked?

I have gt one as well…guys what division did u guys apply to? But I guess the Telephone interview is the same for everyone…

The competencies will differ by division - for example for Trading they will probably ask you about a time when you had to take on risk, which I doubt they would ask for DCM.

Hi! So what did they ask? What division? PLZ!!! This is my first interview EVER…I don’t want to spoil it…=(

I dont think the competencies will be different…first round telephone interview is the standard one for everyone.

i had mine on the 19th…but the HR lady told me she ll get bk in mid jan when she ll get done wid all the interviews…wat division u applied to?

Bw guys the HR lady for Finance, Compliance n Risk is the same…so i guess she ll be askin the same qz. gud luck everyone!

I applied to Finance. No way but to wait then…

minty, good luck for both of us.

Hey did u have ur telephone interview yet?

Yeah, I had my telephone interview on 18 December.

Can you please tell me if there are other questions asked aside from those generously listed by Priya?

hey…most seem to be preparing for the tele interviews…i have mine on the 13th for finance and i’m really tense since this is my first one…thanks priya for sharing your experiences…it gives an idea of what to expect…but it would be really helpful Wisecrown if you could share your experience during the interview with us as well…luck to all …oo yea and a happy new year too

Hi all,

For those who have BarCap Tel Interview coming up soon:

I had my tel interview with BarCap mid Dec. The interview lasted for 16 minutes and tHR lady asked me following questions:

1. What did you enjoy the most during your university life?
  2. Tell me the situation where you worked in a team?
  3. Give me an example of a teamwork, where you had to deal with a problem. What did you do? What was the outcome?
  4. Describe a situation where you had to deal with a sensitive matter?
  5. Why Investment Banking as a business industry?
  6. Do you have any question to ask?

I spent on average 3 minutes per question and I expected her to ask more than 6 questions…

If you have any further queries, feel free to ask. Cheers,Wisecrown

Hi all,

first of all thanks a lot to priya and Wisecrown for providing the asked questions at the inteview. I also have a telephone interview for BarCap coming up soon, so I am trying to prepare as good as I can. After reading all the information given on this page, I still got three questions left.

First I am not sure what they expect to hear as an answer to the question: “Describe a situation where you had to deal with a sensitive matter?” - I don’t really understand what is meant by “sensitive matter”, maybe someone can give some examples?

Secondly I wanted to ask, if you think that in generel the interviewer is a little bit less strict with non-native speakers regarding the way of expression (which is the case for me)?

At last, I wanted to ask, if you think that if applying for an internship, a candidate is suppose to know what he is going to do exactly in his internship, how the workday is structured etc., or is that more a question for applicants of a “real” job at the bank?

Thanks very much in advance for any help.