Backing out of a conditional job offer


#1

Let’s say someone was to accept a conditional graduate job offer via a company’s online portal, but haven’t signed the employment contract or gone through the motions of sending off any documents the company might need. Now another job offer has come along that is much better and there was no way of postponing offer 1 until company 2 got back to said person. Can said person back out of the first job? They will only be starting work in 8 months, and as the job is conditional, surely the company can’t have the right to back out but not the candidate? I’d like to know any ramifications of this. Company 1 will be employing more graduates for a couple more months, so it’s not like they couldn’t fill the space.
I understand if said person had accepted an UNconditional offer, signed the contract and was expected to start work on Monday then this would be bad, but as it is a graduate conditional offer that only starts in 8 months, then is it that bad?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!


#2

Hi - from a legal perspective, there is no issue whatsoever. Employers are aware this situation might arise from time to time and they generally have a contingency plan in place to manage any such case. I suggest you hold off on reneging on company 1 offer until you’ve had the acceptance/submitted your paperwork for company 2 - no point in burning any bridges too early! If company 1 is persistent for an answer/confirmation, request more time to make your decision. Employers expect this and will normally accommodate. They know what issues students face and are typically accommodating. Good luck! Don’t hesitate to shout if you have any further questions.


#3

Hi - from a legal perspective, there is no issue whatsoever. Employers are aware this situation might arise from time to time and they generally have a contingency plan in place to manage any such case. I suggest you hold off on reneging on company 1 offer until you’ve had the acceptance/submitted your paperwork for company 2 - no point in burning any bridges too early! If company 1 is persistent for an answer/confirmation, request more time to make your decision. Employers expect this and will normally accommodate. They know what issues students face and are typically accommodating. Good luck! Don’t hesitate to shout if you have any further questions.