Background Checks (Towers Watson)

Willis Towers Watson
Response

Hey,

I’ve applied for a few graduate positions and one at Towers Watson (Actuarial role) is looking positive right now. While going through wikijobs today, I saw background checks are very common once you get a job. I’m still a while away from that (still on tests etc), but I’ve submitted my resume with the form containing details of a summer intern that I didn’t perform very well in. The intern was two months long and was during the summer of the pre final year of my undergrad degree.

The place I did the intern in wasn’t terribly exciting and I didn’t really put in all that much effort. As a result, my supervisor wasn’t happy with me and I’m not sure what his response will be to questions in a background check. The internship itself was completely unrelated with my current degree (It was work in a lab in a uni, I did a shift from physics into actuarial science), but I’d added this to my resume just as a record of what I’ve done thus far… Didn’t realise they’d be emailing and calling every place I’ve worked in! All my other scores and work can be verified, it’s all honest. I’m not sure what my supervisor would say honestly, but if its a bad recommendation it’ll just go against my overall profile which is good.

Having the intern on my resume in short is counter-productive- it’s not going to help me in any way but will work against my profile. Any suggestions on what I can do- should I mail the recruitment guys at TW and ask them to accept an updated copy of my resume? Or should I just let it continue as it is and see what happens later? Or bring it up during an interview maybe?

Cheers,
ropdd