Are Deloitte Interviews weird?

Hi
I had an interview with Deloitte a couple of days ago. I thought I was well prepared as it wasn’t the first interview I had done before but I found the Deloitte one really strange. My interviewer almost seemed a bit bored, I would catch him looking away a couple of times, and the questions I got asked seemed so vague I wasn’t sure what he was looking for in my answer. Anyone found the same experience? I don’t feel I passed it, not because I was crap but because the interview structure wasn’t great.

I think it depends on the interviewer. In my 1st interview with Deloitte, I was impressed by the guy who interviewed me. At the end, we even walked out of the building and even had 5 minutes of chat. In contrast, I thought the partner was unwelcoming and looked like bored from the 1st second. I doubt he listened to what I said.

Yup, had a deloitte interview. Didn’t like it at all. I think their structure is too rigid, it doesn’t allow for normal conversation with the interviewer and so its hard to perform well I found. I didn’t get through in the end but have got an offer from PwC who were my 1st choice anyways.

Dave

well yes i found it very structured, but i think all the big 4 have the same questions for the 1st round. i had my deloitte interview a week ago, and the guy was sooooooooooooooo nice!!! in between the questions he had to ask, we were just having a chat about life! needless to say, this did add to the time limit a bit: interviews are usually 45mins to 1 hour; mine was 1 and a half hours! haha.
what i found a little trickier was that they ask for 2 examples of each competency; so you really do need to be prepared!
in terms of looking bored, well, they have to do so many of these and i’m sure they hear the same things. in which case, just coming across as different, lively and enthusiastic is really important!

when i had my partner interview at kpmg, he actually said to me that he was bored of asking the same questions over and over again, but he had to so that they could fairly compare the candidates. he was super nice too!

I hear that if you wear a hat they perk up…

guys, just out of curiosity, how much do you actually need to know about Deloitte during first round interviews?? Do they grill you on its structure, industry, competitors, recent events, challenges, names of the board, annual reports, etc.?

not sure if you ever need to know about that! at least i’ve never been asked on anything like that. have some knowledge on what they’re currently doing at the moment. they might ask about the different areas and what you might be interested in. they are not gonna ask for board member names tho!

Hi

I just wanted to add that I found the Deloitte interview a little odd as well. The interviewer was fairly nice but the interview was so structured that it was really difficult to have some kind of a conversation. I thought it was a little strange as surely one way to test communication skills is through conversation skills. I found the interview quite stilted and unnatural. I’m not sure but I think it also gives quite a bad impression of the company and I’m sure it’s more difficult to give a good impression of yourself. I still got accepted through to the assessment centre stage but had an offer from PwC which I accepted and didn’t go to Deloitte’s AC.

Glad its not just me. It left me with a really bad view of the company. You’re right the way it is structured made it really hard to give them a good impression of yourself. If I don’t make it through I am not bothered. And some of the questions they asked drove me nuts!!

Had my first round Deloitte interview for consulting this month and recently heard that “regretfully…”

I found the Deloitte interview and the environment in which it was held (London office) very austere compared to that of its competitors. The building seemed stark and sparsely populated. It takes place in the lower ground floor that gives the impression of a high security prison. It’s all very insulated, quiet and clinical.

I was interviewed by a manager in his early thirties perhaps. He beamed confidence and sophistication, but made it clear that his personality was going to remain impenetrable. This, I found, was very particular to Deloitte, and elsewhere the tone has been a lot more casual, a lot more conversational.

I’ve been successful at this stage with some of Deloitte’s rivals. I’ve been going into interviews cheerfully and have talked exuberantly with my interviewers. Here I felt out of place. I felt guilty for being in high spirits, and left feeling that I should have concealed my personality, like my interviewer seemed to be doing with great intent.

The case study was fairly straight forward, but you should be familiar with jargon like outsourcing, back-office, streamlining. Just to set the scene, you do it with a handful of other candidates around a single large table under exam conditions. You are given questions to prepare answers for, the vast majority of which didn’t involve calculator tricks in my case.

As wikijob indicates, the post-case study interview involves talking in depth about a few competency areas that you can read about on the Deloitte website. Make sure you’ve prepared two good anecdotes for each competency.

This is an interview where you’ll be grilled if you start giving half-baked answers. My advice would be to structure your answers in advance and rehearse them like a machine. It didn’t seem like the kind of interview that would look down on dialogue with a rehearsed feel to it.

As for my personal pitfalls, I think I could have shown better interest of Deloitte specifically. Like many people here I’ve sent out a tsunami of applications to the whole accountancy world and when I was asked to name some of Deloitte’s audit clients (note that I was applying for a consultancy position), I couldn’t. If I was going in for audit, it would have certainly been something I would have looked up, but I didn’t think it would be important in this context.

Disappointingly, feedback is apparently no longer offered for first-round failures in spite of what it says on their website, and so I don’t feel like I can advise you with too much authority, but this was my experience and these were my feelings.

Now, how does this compare with other people’s experiences?

i guess i was just lucky! my interview with them definately felt conversational although structured!

anyway, i think part of the interview process is to see how you fit into the firm’s culture, so it helps that!!

I had my first round interview with deloitte today…It was werid…
The lady who interviewed me did not even introduce herself…
All we did was question and answer…didnt really communicate…
she was busy with writting notes all the time…and it was strange.
everytime I finished one question…she summerized one time for me…(I mean she actually read what i said once again)
Has anyone had this sort of experience ?
and I dont think I did well on Commercial Awarness…
Dont know if she will let me get through…

Mine went just like that. The summary-after-each-question really irritated me, it interrupted the flow. And after the interview my interviewer literally fobbed me off by pointing me towards that HR lady at the reception and telling me to double check that I had handed in my receipts even though I told him that I already did this when I first came in. By the time I turned around my interviewer had literally run away before I had a chance to thank him, say goodbye etc.

Found out I got rejected today. Not unexpected, but not disappointed either, really wasn’t impressed with Deloitte, both the interview process and the offices. It felt very dull and an anticlimax considering how much they put into marketing the company as being right up there.

gosh…how long did it take you to know the outcome …?
I really could not tell if the interviewer liked me .
Actually she did ask me same thing…i mean ask me to give my receipt to the HR…
I really thought I was very well prepared…sign

I recently had a first interview at Deloitte in London. It was my first interview and put massive amounts of effort into it. Came out feeling like I’d represented myself to the max, made massive effort to show I was genuinely interested in the firm. The guy interviewing even dropped stuff about next round e-tray excercises and talked about how interesting my examples were.
Anyway, I got rejected. what ticked me off was when I asked for feedback they basically said: You didnt meet all the competancies. Surely thats not feedback right? is there any way to get further/ more specific feeback?

vicky_koo, out of curiosity, which department did you apply for, tax audit or consulting? and do you know which specific department within those area your interviewer was from?

the09, She was from Audit (Telecom Media), not manager, this is her 4th year…
She was not supposed interview me, coz the person didnt turn up…
I think she was in the graduate recrument for 3 month or sth …not sure…
How was yours?

Out of interest has anyone had similar experiences with any other company interviews or just Deloitte? Does anyone here know why Deloitte do it in such a way?

Just recalled another jarring moment from my interview.

I was asked “Do you know anybody at Deloitte?”
I said, quite succinctly, “No, I don’t.”

I wish I did- I’m sure it would have given me more of an edge in my interview if I could lean on insider advice. But is this a fault? My family don’t come from a City background, and just a meagre handful of my friends are pursuing a financial career. One perspective on this question (and my answer) might be, well, I had to use my initiative and get to know Deloitte without support from others. It’s taken me considerable time, actually.

Anyway, then he leaned forward slightly and reinforced: “You don’t know anyone at Deloitte?”
I said no and said that I wish I did. I didn’t feel I had much to add beyond that.

What do you make of this question and reaction to my answer?

lol! what kind of question is that. unless it turned out that this guy was actually your 2nd cousin twice removed and he was not happy that you did not remember him!
i’m in a similar position to you too, in that none of my family work in the city - they’re all doctors! so if i were asked that, i would say no, no one personally, but i have met several people at recruitment fairs and insight days who have told me a lot about life at deloitte. if there were many people at your uni who went to deloitte that could be something you could mention (find out this info at your careers service at uni- i’m assuming you’re still at uni!)