Application Form Question

Baker Tilly

Hi,

I’m applying for an accounting position at Baker Tilly and have come across the following question…

[color=blue] Pick a business that you know well, you may have worked there or simply been a customer. Tell us about why you think the business is a success or a failure? [/color]

Can anyone please give me a little direction, I don’t know where to start !!!

Can I ask which office because that queastion never came up on my application form! Did they change it recently?

I guess you could go with Woolworths, coz that’s a big thing right now. They didn’t change their business model, didn’t really have a foothold in the market. Percieved by many consumers to be a mixture of items with no defined goods, competition by Tesco, Asda which do similar things…credit insurers pulling back because of credit squeeze, etc.

I think that’s what they’re after, commercial awareness, though cannot be certain as this never came up on my application form…hope it helps

Thanks for the info finalist, I’m applying for the ‘school leaver’ scheme at Leeds in audit/business services.

I’m a little nervous selecting Woolworths since it might be a popular answer, my other option is talking about the success of Primark. I really appreciate your suggestions in what to explore and will have a crack at both.

Good point about Woolworths…tbh I don’t know much about Primark in terms of recent activity etc. But if I were to do Primark I would research the following if possible;

1. Are they successful and you measured their success? Growth, sales, turnover, etc…
  2. What market they target and if they have successfully targeted that sector/ do they have a foothold there?
  3. How they are holding up in the current market what with the economic slowdown?
  4. Future?

I guess there’s a lot to say in 150 words? So i’d probably concentrate on Primark’s strategy, and evaluate/argue logically why it works. I think this question aims for commercial awareness and analytical skills more. Also I’m not sure if this appropriate but see if you can link it to the service line, if not then don’t bother. I hope this helps, sorry I’ve never done this question before so I can’t really offer any definitive advice.

They didn’t change their business model, didn’t really have a foothold in the market. Percieved by many consumers to be a mixture of items with no defined goods, competition by Tesco dougleschan.com/

Hey @TH14 did you get the job at Baker Tilly?