Accepting a job

Baker Tilly
CIMA
Lehman Brothers
The Co-operative

Well this is my first post and I’m not too sure how to ask this without offending someone but here goes! I am lucky enough to have been offered contracts with 3 companies to study accounting (ACA in two CIMA in the other). I’m just wondering what the policies on accepting multiple offers are?

Before the uproar begins this is my reasoning: There is an economic downturn and a few of my graduate friends were made redundant within a few months of starting and some have had offers retracted (a friend deferred his contract to work with Lehman brothers and returned to no job!). I am a bit worried of selecting a company and ending up with nothing come 2009 because the have realised they can’t afford me!

I have offers from a small firm (ACA), Baker Tilly-mid-tier (ACA) and the Co-operative (CIMA). Friends have mentioned the Co-operative is more stable (less risk of redundancy etc) but since applying I am worried that I’ll end up with an inferior qualification if I study CIMA.

Any thoughts/advice (No insults or rants PLEASE!) would be much appreciated :slight_smile:
xoxo

CIMA is a valuable qualification too. A lot of big companies require their finance graduate to study towards to CIMA.

Also you always can learn ACA on your own too if you want

No one insults or rants on WikiJob. You must be confusing us with: th_ st_d_nt r__m !!

I’m under the impression that CIMA qualified people generally earn less long term than ACA qualified people. However - that would be true if you were intending on working as an accountant for the rest of your life, when many PQ’s (Post Qualification) go on to work in other capacities. Something to think about anyhow.

Co-operative probably is less risky in terms of job security - but accountancy isn’t exactly the riskiest profession - even now. Furthermore, considering you picked up three offers, and are probably a decent graduate, it’d be unlikely you would be fired in preference to weaker trainees.

You’ve done well - I think this decision should come down to your personal preference and you should base your decision on three factors: (1) What you want to do long term (2) How much earning money matters to you (3) Which firm you liked best / felt best at.

Now I wonder… you say you’ve been offered a job with co-operative? Would it be possible to write an application to offer post for WikiJob?! This would be HUGELY useful! We haven’t had one yet!!!

(:P)

E.

Just my opinion but …

I dont think Accountancy has the same problems that the investment banks & retail banks have had with regards to the downturn. If you are considering one offer out of many just go for the one that suits your needs best! Co-Operative probably are the most secure of the ones you mentioned, but professional services as an industry seems to be doing OK. Try and get as much information out of the HR of those companies as you can

Just my opinion but …

I dont think Accountancy has the same problems that the investment banks & retail banks have had with regards to the downturn. If you are considering one offer out of many just go for the one that suits your needs best! Co-Operative probably are the most secure of the ones you mentioned, but professional services as an industry seems to be doing OK. Try and get as much information out of the HR of those companies as you can

Just my opinion but …

m

Nothing will happen to you if you accept multiple offers and then call one of them to say you can’t make it anymore. Companies get it all the time. I think they might be entitled to sue you legally but not that many are going to bother.
I say go ahead and take the multiple offers, at the end of the day it is just a contract between you and a company and you shouldn’t feel some sort of loyalty to them

Yup, take them all

Hi all, sorry for my lack of appearance on the forum front. I will try and put an application to offer page up but I warn you computers and me aren’t exactly friends!
As for all the offers, I’ve kept in contact with the co-op and they seem really nice so will prob take them in the summer.

in response to redsuperted- To be honest, academically I am average… 280 UCAS, 2:1 degree but according to my post assessment feedback I have drive n passion which clearly comes across!

Good luck everyone!

Haahaa… such a small world! I will deffo be joinging the co-op in the summer. I REALLY liked Baker Tilly but seeing some of the prospective grad intake completely turned me off… I really don’t think I would fit in there :(. Btw I applied to a London office… was thinking about moving home.

I applied to the co-op because I attend Manchester uni and am not quite ready to leave… also, I think I am prob better suited to CIMA than ACA. Management accounting seems more interesting.

ps …lemme guess You attended the Uni of Manchester? once agin good luck in the interview!

The University of Manchester?! That’s where the founder of WikiJob went too! Were you in Owens Park by any chance?!

RE Redsuperted: No I wasn’t in OP I was in Hulme Hall (by far more superior! lol), thats so random. I’m gonna assume he/she is a few yrs older than me because if not how inadequate does that make me feel! teeheeehee

RE what a banker: I had a HR lady and a health n safety person! random I know. But it doesn’t really matter becase they read from the same script t both the 1st interview and A/C. All I can really say is be yourself (best version of it) they continually said that I seemed passionate so I guess let that come across but it wasn’t that stressful. I guess with you, be ready to answer questions about why you left Baker Tilly cos they will prob ask as they did with my non finance background.

So when is your interview then? It usually lasts <45 mins… oh yea take ur firm handshake with u. I had a really weak looking lady so was worried about hurting her then she almost broke my hand!lol