A brief Guide for Interviews and AC's

Hey Guys,

I have attended some first interviews and Assessment Centers of BB’s. I would like to share my experiences in a general way so that people without experiences ccan benefit from these.

First Interviews :

1)If you come to this stage, be aware that they liked your CV and Cover Letter and from now on everything depends on your performance. --> SELF-CONFIDENCE
2) Read FT and WSJ beginning with your applications. They are really useful and you will get the jargon.
3) Know every single detail of the company. Read last two years Financial Reports. Read the latest news on the media about the bank. Know share prices, quarterly profits etc.
"I have had questions like : Do you know how we perform in Asia? or What was our share price last year ? or What is the closing price of Nikkei ? " I mean before my experiences I wouldn’t expect they ask about Nikkei. However, they ask about these stuff.
4)Know every single thing about the position you have applied. Try to relate your academic knowledge to the position so that you can comment in a concrete way.
5)OF COURSE find at least two example for every f.cking competency questions. Practice them… Be spesific and concrete !!!
6) Be confident at the interviews, smile and even make some jokes and make them smile… :smiley:
7)Find good answers to Why IB? Why this position? Why this bank type of questions ? They make differences…
8)Prepare Intelligent Questions to the interviewer. I mean you should be able to discuss your questions in detail coz sometime interviewer really like your questions and discuss the issue with you.
Note: Probably, they hear the same answers from each applicants so you need to differantiate yourself by given small details and different types of answers.

Assessment Centers :

The advices above applies to interviews of AC’s. However, these interviews will be more technical… !

Most Banks have similar AC’s :Interviews + Case Study +Written Report + Presentation + Group Exercise

Case Study Written Report
1)Back up your opinions with numbers or any concrete stuff… Don’t make lots of assumptions… Just use the information given to you and maybe one cool assumption will work.

Presentation
1)Well Organized…
2)Self Confidence
3)Q&A–> Just try to give good answers to the questions. I mean even you contradict with yourself, try to answer the question in the best way.

From What I have heard the most important part of the presentations is Q&A

Group Exercise
1)Don’t try to lead the group.
2)Respect every single comment
3)Don’t shout
4)Always back up your opinion with concrete stuff
5)Speak clearly and briefly.
6)Don’t let others attack you.
7)Do not talk much but always contribute !!!

This is a very brief guide and everybody more or less aware of these…I wrote these because if one benefit from one sentence, that is enough…

Of course, these are just my 2 cents… You do not have to agree with these stuff.

Best Luck guys!!!

Hey, that’s pretty useful…
from my own experience I can say that the interviews in the final rounds are really the toughest to crack since the assessment itself can be very subjective. Did you have the feeling that you performed really well in some interviews but the feedback was nevertheless not so great?

I believe that feedback is kind of generic and they are not detailed itself. They are given just to declare that they have some reasons not to hire you.

I agree that final round interviews are the toughest ones. Interviewers are generally seniors and I really enjoyed because I am kind of a technical guy and I like to answer technical stuff rather than answering tell me about a day blablbala…

The worst thing is that sometimes you see that you are better than the others however it is not easy to show this to the interviewers because you are just a player where the rules had already set and you can not change the rules…

Don’t forget that every “NO” makes you closer to the happy end :slight_smile:

I think 50% is whether you can do the tasks but 50% is personality too. They really need to ‘like’ you. So basically you need to come across as being confident and convincing but also considerate (I.e. show you can listen and be interested in what people have to say). Employers are looking for people that will fit into the company and be able to knuckle down and get on with the work. So how you behave is just as important as your performance. Try to be kind/nice at all times, offering to help whenever an opportunity arises, and dont express any annoyance if there is anything that might frustrate you. i.e. AC taking longer than scheduled meaning youre going to miss your train. Ive seen those go down very badly.

Try to build rapport with interviewers etc as much as possible. Menion interest etc when giving answers and try find common ground. Doing things like this can make you much more ‘likeable’ if you do find some common interests etc.

Lil. x